Looking for feedback on small bobbin

Just a couple of comment on the bobbins. The "M" bobbin does not hold twice the thread of the "L" it is about 180%. See this link to Superior Thread for comparisons.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/467/

The "L" bobbin is the standard bobbin for high speed sewing machines and embroidery machines. If the “M” was superior don’t you think the embroidery machines would use it? It is a matter of physics. The hook has to make two revolutions to make each stitch. With the “M” the hooks move further distance for each stitch. At slower speeds this is not an issue but crank the speed up and watch stitch quality. The other issue is that as the thread comes off the bobbin the tension changes with an “L” bobbin this change is less than with the larger diameter of the “M”. The “M’ being heavier is harder to stop the motion. It is all simple physics. If you remember your physic classes a heavier object in motion is more difficult to stop than a lighter one. An example is a 18 wheeler verses a car.

These are a couple of the reasons APQS does not use the “M”. Nolting will make a machine with the “M” but they are not common. I believe I am correct in stating that A1 will make a machine with the “L” if the customer wants even though their standard is the “M”.

John

Originally posted by TerriVB

I do toe-touches while every bobbin fills!! I would like to say that it has improved my waistline--but then I would have to quit eating for that to happen--but it does keep me limber and not get so tight during those marathon quilting days!!

Just something to think about!!

What a great idea! I use the Ab lounger while the machine is warming up and haven't seen a change in my waistline either. :)

Archived