Gee's Bend at Sisters, Oregon

I just got this email from the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show. Thought I'd pass it along for those of you who may be passing through central Oregon this summer.

Patterns from the Past: 19th Century American Quilts

Collection of quilts runs June 6 - August 5 at the High Desert Museum

The High Desert Museum exhibit features quilts representative of styles from as long ago as the Revolutionary War era. The exhibit marks the first time the quilts may be seen by the public, and includes a communal quilt on which all visitors can sew or quilt. The collection of 22 quilts belongs to the Benton County Historical Society. In 1956, Susan Lewis Cockrell donated the quilts to the Horner Museum in Corvallis, which closed in 1995. She donated them in honor of her mother, Elizabeth Saville Lewis, whose simple wish was that a "museum in the West" would study and enjoy them.

Also this:

Wish Upon a Card Fabric Postcards

We'd love to have you make a fabric postcard or two for our fundraiser for Wendy's Wish Foundations (www.wendyswish.org). In the past two years, we've raised over $17,000 for this foundation that provides funding for cancer pre-screening services for those who cannot afford it. We will jury 50 - 60 of the very best cards and they will be custom-framed by High Desert Gallery (all framing & labor is donated) and silent auctioned. Finished cards should be 4" x 6" and mailed to: SOQS/Wish, P.O. Box 280, Sisters, OR 97759, by May 15. Check out our website for more information on the Wish Project and a link to a website with instructions for making fabric postcards [put link here]. Any cards not selected for framing will be sold by Wendy's Wish volunteers at various venues to raise money for the foundation. Thanks in advance for your participation! (CD - can you put the picture from this year's postcard in here?)

You can go to the SOQS website for more information:

www.sistersoutdoorquiltshow.org

AND this came a little later:

Quilt Block Contest

Fabric packets for our annual Quilt Block Contest will be mailed by the end of March. There are a limited number available and they are going fast! A fabric packet is $8.00 and with it you make a block for our contest - the winning block is a $50 prize. All of the blocks we receive will be on display on Quilt Show Day and then they are divided into groups for quilt tops and one person from each group will win the blocks. Click here to see the fabric choices for this year's contest - in honor of our special guests, the quilters from Gees Bend, we've selected all solids for this year's challenge. Send your check for $8.00 payable to SOQS to P.O. Box 280, Sisters, OR 97759.

Some Gees Bend quilts were at the Knoxville Museum in Knoxville, TN last year. I was visiting my sister while they were at the museum and I spent an afternoon at the exhibit. I recommend anyone able to see one of the exhibits to make the effort to do so. You will not be sorry.

Pamela

Archived