timing...help!

I rarely have to get help with minor maintenance but it seems like when I do I get an answering machine on the other end! So, I'm coming to all of you with a question.

I have been getting little stitches when I stop using SR. I am not going fast and stopping quickly. I feel like I have a consistent speed while I am stitching.

I noticed that my needle isn't going down as far as it should so I took off the front cover to loosen the screw and adjust the needle bar. I have not done this before. I can see the screw that I need to loosen but it is not straight in the hole and I am having a really tough time getting my screwdriver into it. It's slightly higher and I think it's because my needle bar is too high. When I use my needle up/down I can see it but it is stopping a bit high.

I don't know if adjusting this will help with the little stitches but I figure it's a start.

I hope someone can help. I guess I will go do some weeding while I wait. What fun that will be!

Guest mark

Hi Jane, I would not mess with the timing unless you absolutely have to! If you are getting little stitches you might still want to see about how you are moving the machine. If the timing was off, you would get skipped or missed stitches. You would need to speed up your motion to get larger stitches as you said you are not going fast. If you are going too slow, your stitches will be too small. Try these things and if you still have problems, call in and speak to tech support before you adjust the timing.

Good luck!

Mark,

I talked to you about this at Paducah. I have been so busy that I haven't messed with it. Today I was echoing some small feathers, not going very fast, and getting the small stitches. You mentioned the encoder wheel but it doesn't feel loose. I have a call into maintenance.

I can't see the eye of my needle like described in the manual and that is why I was trying to adjust that.

Guest mark

Hi Jane, I remember. OK if you are using the stitch regulator, you still need to possibly tighten up your encoder wheels to make sure they are not slipping, but if you have a call into tech, they will help you or walk you through any adjustments! :)

Mark:

I talked to Jane today. I told her it was not timing and had her check the needle bar position while I was on the phone. It is correct. We went through the encoder wheel adjustments and cleaning. The challenge is that when she stops the machine it makes a few small stitches at the end. This would not be encoder wheels slipping. It seems to happen in both axis. The single stitch speed is correct and functions properly. I think that it might be an issue with the computer reading the encoder output. Why it would only do this as the machine is stopped may be a question for Mike.

Later,

John

Archived