locked up

CynthiaWilson

I have an APQS Millie. While I was quilting without my SR the top thread broke and a little of it got pulled into the machine where the fly wheel is. It was not much, and getting it out was not a problem. However now when I hit the button to start quilting the machine it stalls. Its like what happens if the bobbin thread knots up and the needle cant move--but the machine wants to turn the wheel yet cannot. Does that make sense? I know that there is something magnetic that happens when the wheel turns, and its like it cant quite make itself move to let the needle position! Now I havent been "under the hood" to mess with the speed of the needle positioner since I spent time with Connie on the phone over a year ago. I dont think that is the issue, but I cant get it move freely on its own. I can push the wheel on around manually, but then when I hit the button to start quilting it just sits there and "clocks".

Any ideas would be SO welcome! I have quilts sitting here I so need to work on, and I am practicing a panto with out the SR to try to get my speed up :)

Thanks In Advance!

Cynthia

Hi Cynthia:

Did you take the left side plate (when viewed from the front) and remove all the thread? It sounds like you have not removed all the thread. Does the machine turn over easily by hand using the flywheel? The flywheel can suck in a lot of thread in just a few seconds. There is a cover made by Hartley that solves this issue. If you would like one we stock them at $15.00 including shipping.

Good Luck,

John

John, thanks for answering. I thought the same thing so I opened it all up again and there was a bit more, however I have everything out I can find. It seems to move easily until its in one position (in the rotation its over on the far side where the thread is threaded). The rest of the time it moves smoothly. I also noticed that if I turn on the SR it moves without a problem. If I turn it on just to quilt by speed with out the SR, it does the hum and hesitates until I hit the button to turn it off, and then it will complete the movement if the needle was supposed to be travelling to the up position.

I did pull out the maintenance video and watch the places in side where we can oil, and oiled it up...still it doesnt want to let me quilt w/o the SR. Its ironic because I havent really ever wanted to quilt w/o it before!

Cyn

I can't think of why you would have this issue without the SR engaged. Does the single stitch/needle positioner work normally? I don't understand what you mean about the rotation where the problem occurs. I assume you have checked the bobbin area for thread wrapped around the shaft or hook assembly. I'll give this some thought. It should be apparent what the problem is.

John

Archived