Locking stitch

Hi....I am a newbie and am having a wonderful time getting to know my new millie. A friend came over the other day to see the new machine, and asked if it had a locking stitch. I said I didn't think so, but does it? While we are on this subject, how do most of you start and stop. I have been bringing my thread up, taking four small stitches, putting my stitch regulator on and just going for it. Is there another way?

What about when the thread breaks. Do you pull up your bobbin thread (still attached) and make small stitches and take off again, or is there something easier?

Thanks for your help!

Durham:):)

Hi, Great question. I was taught that you take a few small stitches back and forth ((wiggle, wiggle, wiggle) then start stitching your design. The problem is you can usually see the starts and stops (at least when I do it you can), so I am going to try the tying off the thread tails business that some others suggested and see how that goes. I will try it today and let you know.

Durham, welcome to the message board!

When I restart after a break, I usually (if it's not a big deal) rip out the work back to where the start/stop would be least visible...where the thread color matches the fabric. Then I cut everything close, back up about 1" up the line and take some really small stitches (about 6) and then take off again.

I've taken courses from MANY LAers at conventions...they all have different ways to do just about everything. You learn to take it all in and find out what works for you.

Good luck!

Deb

Archived