Please help with long stitches sporadically!

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me. It's SO frustrating when you have get a quilt done and something like this happens.

I'm doing an overall freehand loops pattern on a quilt - good quality fabric and battting, using Isacord 40 wt poly thread and BL bobbin thread (both of which I've used before without any problem). I'm quilting along and then all of a sudden it feels like the machine is catching and then I have long uneven stitches. So I need to rip out continue and then it does it again!

I did clean the wheels etc. and got out some wrapped thread from around the bottom wheels and thought that would fix it - no go!

Anything else I can check before I go nuts! I know there are so many out there who hopefully has the answer!

Thanks!

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me. It's SO frustrating when you have get a quilt done and something like this happens.

I'm doing an overall freehand loops pattern on a quilt - good quality fabric and battting, using Isacord 40 wt poly thread and BL bobbin thread (both of which I've used before without any problem). I'm quilting along and then all of a sudden it feels like the machine is catching and then I have long uneven stitches. So I need to rip out continue and then it does it again!

I did clean the wheels etc. and got out some wrapped thread from around the bottom wheels and thought that would fix it - no go!

Anything else I can check before I go nuts! I know there are so many out there who hopefully has the answer!

Thanks!

Guest mark

Hi Roseann,

If one or both of the little rubber wheels that drive the stitch regulator are slipping then you will get the long stitches you are describing. If you grab just the rubber wheel with your thumb and forefinger and try to spin the wheel it should feel pretty tight and "grippy" trying to turn the larger carriage wheel. If it is pretty easy to turn then we need to tighten it up against the larger carriage wheel. This is done by loosening the gold bolt that holds the larger carriage wheel in place as it also holds the black box the rubber wheel is on in place. Loosen the bolt and then squeeze the black box and larger carriage wheel together thus tightening the rubber wheel. You will need to hold it in place and then tighten the gold bolt back up so it won't slip right back to where it was. This job is a good extra pair of hands job. :) Good luck with that and if that doesn't work, then be sure to call in and speak with the gals in service to determine what is going on.

Take care,

Hi Roseann,

I used to have the same frustating problems, I checked the manual and went on to read the troubleshooting page. There are few possible reasons. In my case was the timing, thank God I have DH to do the timing. Hope you get it fixed.

Corey

Guest mark

Hi Roseann,

If one or both of the little rubber wheels that drive the stitch regulator are slipping then you will get the long stitches you are describing. If you grab just the rubber wheel with your thumb and forefinger and try to spin the wheel it should feel pretty tight and "grippy" trying to turn the larger carriage wheel. If it is pretty easy to turn then we need to tighten it up against the larger carriage wheel. This is done by loosening the gold bolt that holds the larger carriage wheel in place as it also holds the black box the rubber wheel is on in place. Loosen the bolt and then squeeze the black box and larger carriage wheel together thus tightening the rubber wheel. You will need to hold it in place and then tighten the gold bolt back up so it won't slip right back to where it was. This job is a good extra pair of hands job. :) Good luck with that and if that doesn't work, then be sure to call in and speak with the gals in service to determine what is going on.

Take care,

Hi Roseann,

I used to have the same frustating problems, I checked the manual and went on to read the troubleshooting page. There are few possible reasons. In my case was the timing, thank God I have DH to do the timing. Hope you get it fixed.

Corey

Archived