Start a business

I would like to start a long arm quilting business in my home. I would like to start by renting a machine first to see if I get customers before I buy a machine. I know from my research that I will want to use an APQS machine - either the Lucey or the Millennium. Any idea where/how to find a machine to rent for up to one year? Thanks.

I know that sometimes quilt shops have longarms to rent, usually in a four hour block. Maybe if you are around a show room, like Matt Sparrows there might be a rental available.

But I have never heard of a machine being rented and set up in your home......but I could be way off base.

Probably would help if you posted your location.

Good luck!

Perhaps you can contact those here on the forum who have posted machines for sale. If there is one in your area, negotiate something. The machines are so expensive to ship it only makes sense to get one close enough to pick up.

That said, it may be a tough sell to get someone to lease it instead of sell it. It would be like they are financing it for you, without collateral. Remember that most longarms (with good care and up-keep) hold their value tremendously. APQS has financing partners for new machines and if you want a used one, approach your bank with a business plan in hand for a loan there.

I'm not saying that you won't find a machine to lease, just that it may be difficult.

If here is a shop close by with rental machines, negotiate one day a week to rent--maybe the day they are closed or blocks of time after hours. Offer them an attractive rental fee, explain your situation, and then make sure you are a good lessor--making them happy about more than just the added income you provide. Learn their machine--even if it's not the brand of your dreams, you will learn enough to know if you want to continue. Leave the area cleaner than when to arrived, and buy fabric--even just a little, every week. You will get referrals from them and enough experience to approach your bank for a loan, if needed.

Wanting an APQS machine shows you have done your homework! Good luck in taking the next step!

As Deb mentioned above, post your location and you will find there are lots of APQS-ers in your area ready to help you.

Archived