air in gear box, replacing hook assy, problems with both

Hi all,

Well, I called and got Amy and she was great with diagnosing a new bad sound and identifying an old: My hook assembly "sprung" and needs replacing/re-timing (new) and my gear box has air in it (old). Of course, the parts arrived late on Friday before a 3 day weekend, and the inventory keeps building and the deadlines keep looming and I need help with two problems, hopefully before Tuesday when Amy is back.

1) The re-timing directions don't help you in putting on a new hook assembly, for instance with a picture of the rotation of the hook assembly in the needle up position. It took quite a bit of force and mechanical advantage to get the old one off. If I put the new one on rotated wrong I don't know how I'll rotate it to time it without banging it up. The shaft is just too tight a fit. Help!!!

2) The gear box lid is sealed on tight. I think the sealant is around those screws. I can't get the screws off without stripping the phillips heads (if even then).

Has anybody solved either of these problems?

The easy way to remove the hook assy. is to use two large flat bladed screwdrivers and put them between the hook and the spacer, twist and the hook assy. will just pop off. The screws put a burr on the shaft and you need to remove the burrs. To install the new hook assy., try this it works great, take a strip of abrasive cloth 180 or so and loop it around the shaft turn the machine on at a slow speed, hold both ends of the cloth, use a finer grit to finish the polishing of the shaft. The new hook assy. will just slide on and rotate easily.

To remove the bottom plate, remove the screws (to break the screws loose put a phillips screwdriver in the head and tap the end of the screwdriver with a hammer (sharp rap)) and take a flat blade screwdriver and pry the plate off. (It has RTV holding it on. After probing the gearbox and refilling it with grease and working all the air out you will apply a small bead of RTV around the sealing surface and reinstall the plate and tighten the screws (not too tight).

You can call me if you need any more help. Studio # is 816-350-2002.

John

Archived