question about lining up quilt

I know I've seen this before but I can't remember when.  I'm trying to do a better job of lining up the quilts.  So far I think I've been lucky and want to learn before disaster strikes.

I've got a custom quilt that I loaded this morning and the quilter is pretty new and self taught.  I've got the sides pinned all the way down and the width is consistent even though the halfway marks were not.  I decided to go with the full width and drop the idea of measuring from the halfway mark as I think I saw Kim Brunner do it because that just wasn't going to work.  I hope I made the correct decision.

The problem is that when I got to the bottom edge of the quilt, it's not straight.  It's concave.  What to do?

Should I adjust it so the bottom is straight and just do the best I can to make the horizontal lines straight?

Thanks,

Joan

Mark your side edges on your top roller with tape or water soluble marker or Frixion pen.  That will tell you how wide the quilt should be all the way down.  Stitch a line straight across the top of your batting and backer using your channel locks. This will give you a line to set your top edge against so you know it is square. Pin as much as you can across the top and down the sides, you might need a few pins in the center, if the quilt is wavy.  Then quilt as far down as you can go, roll it and add more pins down the sides again, keeping the edges on your tape lines.  Keep doing that until you get to the bottom.  Then, pin the heck out of it and quilt the last little bit.  Remember to smooth the quilt from top to bottom as you roll it, not just side to side.  Mine tend to suck up the center so I have to continually pull it back down with each roll.

Sorry, that's about as clear as mud.  Maybe somebody else can explain it better.

Archived