pattern going over-problem 1.

Berny

This is problem # 1.

I'm very frustrated. I'm starting a small lap size quilt. I hit pattern start and go to the end of the quilt and hit pattern end then return to start to start quilting. It tells me the the size of the quilt is slightly smaller than I had put in for quilted width so I change it to what it said. It quilts the row but doesn't finish the pattern until it is almost 2" past the point that I wanted it to stop. I have extra fabric and batting so it's okay. When I hit go to start it stops at least 1" plus before where it started. Why is it doing this?? or what am I doing wrong?? (This is not the first time that it seems to overquilt where I wanted it to stop!)

Any suggestions as to what I may try to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Berny

Hi Berny,

Honestly it would be very helpful to you if you would load muslin on your frame, download the latest CQ Manual and go through Dee Dee's excellent exercises. It sounds most likely that what's happening is you're using a design that has an X and maybe also a Y offset. There are many interlocking designs with horizontally offset elements. If you were to draw a vertical line from where CQ picks up the bobbin and knots off at either the start or end of the design, there are parts of the design that go to the left (at the beginning of the pass) or right (at the end of the pass) of that line. Those are offset elements in the design and can help a design interlock and have a seamless look as an overall design. So you can have some of the design run off the top, bottom, or either sides of the quilt top. I do that all the time to place knots in the batting and to fill in the overall effect completely on the quilt (so there aren't any big open places in the design). You can read about OFFSETS in the CQ Manual to get a complete understanding of this important design concept and CQ feature.

On the Execute Page, when you set Pattern Start a box comes up and asks you if you want to turn X Offsets off? YES or NO. It's important that you understand what you are asking for when you say NO and when you say YES. The best way to learn this is to practice on muslin with a design with X (horizontal) offsetting elements, and stitch passes with offsets off and with offsets on using the same pattern. Use Pattern Start and Pattern End with each pass to set up the same conditions. You will graphically see what each command does.

So your answer has 2 parts. Look at your designs to notice which ones were designed with offsetting elements and learn what offsets are doing on the Execute Page. Basically, when doing edge to edge quilting with an overall design with interlocking and X offsetting qualities, I set up stitching to go off the quilt. You'll get a great result. Also, be aware of the " Pattern Location" (on the Execute Page) . These all come into play to control where CQ picks up the bobbin and knots off. In some designs that will be inward from other elements later in the design so depending on what you select, you'll control where the bobbin picks up and where your knots are . . . and how much of the design quilts off the quilt top.

I hope this helps you, Berny - I've given you an answer, but I also recommend you see for yourself what offsets are all about by doing the exercises . . . . then you'll agree its a feature, not a problem.

Warm Regards,

- Suzanne Moreno, CQ Digitizing Instructor

Digitizing for CompuQuilter Course Book

cqdigi@charter.net

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for your reply. I will download the new manual and go through the exercises. To be honest I don't understand using the offsets so I will go through the exercises to get a clearer understanding of what the computer is doing. Then perhaps I'll understand what I need to ask the computer to do.

Thank-you so much for your support. It's great to know that there is someone that I can ask.

Berny

Archived