Coffee Creek Quilters

Hi. If you've all heard about this project and I'm the only one who hasn't before, then please disregard this topic. But if, like me, this is totally a surprise in your own backyard, then go here and see a miracle:

http://www.coffeecreekquilters.com/About.html

The lady who started this, Koko, came to talk to the quilt guild I joined last night in Sherwood. I was never so flabbergasted. I am going to see if my pastor will invite her to speak to our church, or our ladies, or something. I think I'll volunteer to help this project. I don't think I can teach at this point, but sure want to help them get the kits together and stuff, and get people to donate stuff for these poor women.

I'd tell you all about Koko's story, except she is so good at it, you need to have her come and talk to your group. It's a wonderful opportunity, folks, and I'm feeling the tug on the line here. We'll see what transpires. Go take a look!

Patty, I did prison ministry at coffee Creek for several years and am well acquainted with the quilters. there is a huge waiting list for the class. The girls (they will forever be my girls) have to make two quilts for charity and then they make one for themselves. I had the great honor of doing some embroidered blocks with special Scripture verses on them for the women who were giving them to their childre, many of whom they will not see again. the girls were in chapel and then when their name was chosen for quilting we would lose them until their projects were finished. Koko is amazing and so are all the women involved. they try to give the girls a machine when when they leave prison if they show an interest in sewing. they always need supplies of any kind. the rate of recitivism for the women who go through this class is less because they are taught self-esteem and the skills that go with learning to quilt. glad you enjoyed it.

Archived