Thread breaking going left or up - SCREAM

I am having big time problems with thread breaking just when I am going from right to left or bottom to top. I'm working on a flannel quilt I made for my DH over a year ago and am using cotton thread (STAR) on top and prewound cotton thread in bobbin.

I'm fine going left to right or top to bottom but if I head in the other directions, it breaks. After four hours of frustration last night, I gave up.

I didn't have this problem with the quilt at first. COuld it be the thread? COuld it be that the quilt is rolled too tight?

HELP!!!

thanks

Sara

If it is an APQS machine it probably is NOT timing! My workhorse Ult I had only been timed ONCE in 8 years... and that's because we replaced the hook and the hopping foot! Unless you've run into something (like a ruler or a clamp), then you need to look at your quilt.

Whenever I have this problem it is due to the quilt sandwich being too tight. I back off my quilt tension, and back down in my thread tension and everything is usually fine.

You could also have a burr in your needle or thread path. Check those too. But I'd reckon that it is NOT timing.

Just a follow up to my original post.

I decided to loosen the quilt a little on the rollers and I loosened the top tension just a bit and I seem to be doing a lot better. THe thread is still breaking more than I would like, but at least not every three inches!

I still think the timing may be a little off though since I hit a ruler a couple of weeks ago, so my next job is to check the timing.

thanks, all,

Sara:

An interesting observation regarding thread breakage......I just got through with a queen sized quilt, everything went smoothly until about the last 12 inches of the quilt. My thread would break every 3-4 inches! I got so frustrated that I decided to quit for the night. Today I came back to it, fresh. I changed the needle. The thread still broke. I checked for burrs and couldn't find any. I checked for correct threading of the machine - it was perfect. I did not know what else to do so I continued to limp along, rethreading the needle every few inches. I only had 12 inches left...I was determined to finish this quilt!

The customer had asked for some of the thread I used on her quilt so she could use it on her binding. While winding some thread onto a cardboard "bobbin" (like is used for cross stitch floss) I repeatedly encountered knots in the thread! These knots would pull out easily enough, but they would never have fit through my needle!!! I was using Superior So Fine which I thought was a good quality machine quilting thread. The spool looks normal but acts like it was twisted while being wound onto the spool. Has anyone else experienced this?

Archived