"New" Ult I setup

Just picked up my "new" Ultimate I from the AQPS factory last Thursday. We finally have it all put together. For the last 4 years I have been using my Ultimate II. I could get that machine to do anything and quilt the tiniest of of stippling and fill-ins. I seem to be having difficulty with my Ultimate I and its movement. It seems to be stiff. I can't move the head smoothly enough to be able to stitch tiny stippling. Feathers don't seem as smooth, either.

I have read posts about adjusting wheels, but I'm not certain that is my problem. I know the Ult I is heavier than the Ult II. Maybe my problem is me.

Have any of you moved from an Ult II to an Ult I and experienced similar difficulty? I am getting a little nervous. I have 9 customer quilts staring at me and more waiting to be delivered.

If anyone has any suggestions/advice I would really appreciate it. My husband and I assembled the table and machine. It is quite different than my old one, but I am pretty sure we assembled everything correctly (the manual had instructions for the "old" table and mine is the "new" one).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brenda

Hi Brenda

Perhaps it is time to clean and wax the tracks. I usually do this once a month when I begin to feel a little resistance. Maquires (sp) is the the recommended product and is available at any auto supply store. Hope this helps, holler if I can be of any further assistance.

I did clean with alcohol and waxed, but it is a brand new table. When I was in Chicago, the Liberty, Freedom and Millenium just zipped along (like I could with my Ult II). I know this head is heavier, but I just can't figure it out.

We followed the manual, but the instructions were for an older model table. I am pretty sure eveything is o.k. with the table. I'm stumped, but perhaps I'll have to live with it.

Thanks for your response. I'm sure I'll make a purchase or two from you in Springfield!!!!

Hi Brenda,

Make sure that your bottom carriage wheels are set correctly, the top ones should have been adjusted at the factory. The bottom ones will effect your side to side motion. I usually try to have the narrow portion of the offset hole on the adjusting bolt heads at around 9 o'clock if you are standing in the front looking down at them. This is pretty much in the middle, you can rotate them to be looser or go tighter if there is too much slop or play in the wheels. I would also loosen the big nuts on the side of the rails(this is what holds the rails together). These should not be overtightened. Crack them loose and then resnug them as if they are too tight this will cause the wheels to bind as they go over these spots. Hope this helps.

Mark

Hi Mark!

Thanks for the tip on the carriage bolt adjustment! I checked mine after reading your note and although I felt my machine was adjusted properly, I tweaked the bolts like you suggested and now I feel like I am quilting through buttah! Thank you, thank you for all your expertise and willingness to share! :D

I hope this suggestion helps you also Brenda!

I'm beginning to second guess myself. I have wanted an Ult I for a long time. Maybe I should have stuck with the Ult II!!! To make a long story short, I did speak with Connie and made the adjustments she recommended. After reading Mark's note, I'll try that tomorrow. For tonight I give up!

On top of the wheel issue, now the single stitch button takes a single stitch sometimes and other times may stitch up to 7 stitches! When I release the stitching button on the handle, it, too, has a mind of its own. May cycle and stop stitching after one or two more stitches, but usually takes an additional 6+ before stopping.

Does anyone know of an APQS dealer who would make a studio call near Indianapolis? My DH is great - he could read blueprints and build you a building, but he does not have this kind of mechanical mind - nor do I!

I also purchased the Hartly base, but this darn ole' Ult I won't follow a ruler - it weaves and bobs. Just turned everything off and I'm gonna watch some T.V.!

Tomorrow will be better.

Thanks for reading - any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark, we took your advice this morning. My husband loosened and re-tightened the bolts on the carriage itself. This has made a world of difference! Thank you, thank you!

Now, my single stitch button doesn't work at all. So, my Saturday will be spent studying the manual to see if we can attempt to fix this.

Thanks again, Mark. I have worked with medical software companies for years. The story is the same, no matter what the business is - if you don't get good support, it doesn't matter. APQS has a good support team!

Thanks to you both Brenda and Sherry for the kind words. I am glad that you are up and running smoothly! Remember, we are here to help so don't hesitate to ask questions. I'm off to Paducah for the next week. Good luck to you guys and your quilting adventures!

Mark

Archived