Quilting Businesses

I live in San Diego, CA and the costs of quilting is pretty high here. Of course, Los Angeles and San Francisco may be even more.

A quilter I know suggested that I look into sending my tops to a quilt finisher in Kansas. The rates she quoted sounded very reasonable.

The Kansas finisher provides the batting and backing and free shipping back to you. Of course, she may just be starting her business and will eventually raise her prices. Word of mouth in San Diego is growing her business in Kansas.

We have adult quilting classes through community colleges. One of the quilters sells quilting products during the classes, and of course, is also advertising her quilting business.

Judy is correct; most businesses take 2-4 years to flower. Don't give up; as you go along new doors will open up that you were unaware of before. I heard that quilting is now a billion dollar business. Many quilters like to make the tops, but don't like to be bothered with the finishing.

I'm a fairly new quilter; I like to make my own designs rather than follow a pattern. Color is my passion.

Cordially

• 6 months later...

I live in Vista, CA and am starting a machine quilting business. So far, of the research I have done, it doesn't appear to be much different than what I gathered people are charging in places like Missouri and Nebraska, etc (got this from reading these forums). What has your experience been? Since I am trying to figure out what is fair, but reasonable, I would be interested in your feedback...thanks!

Archived