Contract Or Order Form

I am a really new quilter for hire. I bought my used Millie (but new to me!) in October and will sew my first official quilt next week. It is a quilt that I had promised to my son and daughter-in-law for their wedding----1997. :D So now it will be a 10th anniversary quilt! Anywho, I already have an order for a commission quilt for a co-worker. He knows that I will not start it til January. On an earlier forum contracts and forms were mentioned. Does everyone use one or another form? I haven't gotten a deposit for the fabric already ordered, should I do that? Thanks for all the great advice I have learned a lot from these forums.

Hello Jeanne--

Just my 2 cents worth--get a deposit for the full price of the fabric as soon as you can. No reason for you to carry that expense until the quilt is finished. As far as a contract, that depends on you and your customer. My intake sheet has a space at the bottom that states "I authorize XYZ Quilting to complete the work stated above" and then a place for the customer\'s signature. With new customers, I have them sign. Regulars usually don\'t sign because they are comfortable with me and I with them. A contract shows that you are a professional and business-like. You can be as casual or as systematic as you care to be.

Congrats on the new business and it looks like you are making a great start!

Archived