Wobbly Circles with the Hartley Fence

phokan

I've been playing with my Hartley Fence today trying to make perfect circles. I know it's going to take lots of practice --- however, I do have a question. I'm finally able to make my starts and stops meet -- but notice I have a few spots around the circle that are a little "wobbly". Any advice on how to correct this so my circles are "perfect"????

Thanks!

Patti Hokanson

Quilts from the Trail

Eagan MN

www.quiltsfromthetrail.com

I have had this problem, too. Make sure your Fence's brake is tight enough, and that the Fence is securely attached to your frame. Move the machine at an even pace. I have also found that my Fence makes better circles if the arm on the Fence (the one with all of the holes) is parallel to the table and not drooping or at an angle. I accomplish this by cutting a plastic disk from a margarine tub lid and poking a hole in it with a knitting needle. I slide this onto the pin of the machine arm after the pin is in the Fence arm and snug the Fence arm into a parallel position. (These disks don't last long, so I am thinking about alternatives. I think one of those rubber stoppers with the hole in it from chemistry class would be perfect!) Keeping the arm up seems to keep the circle on track.

Try these tips and see if your circles improve.

Happy quilting,

Cathy in NC

Millennium

Patti and Cathy,

When using your fence make sure your pressure is the same all the way around. For example when I am doing circles what work best for me is to use the little black knob on the top of the pin that goes into your cirlce maker, not the machine handle. How I show it to students is imagine wiping out the inside of a bowl. You want to keep the pressure pushing out on the inside of the bowl. Or if you remember (as a child of course.....not) using your finger to get frosting out of the inside of the bowl rim. As you are going aroung the circle keep telling yourself out ,out, out, out,out and you will have smooth circles that meet in the end. For some it is eaiser to use the machine handle and thats okay.. The thing to remember it to be consistent in whatever method you choose (except pushing one way and pulling the other {: Another thing to check , if you have the blue cushions on you axils make sure the screws are tight.

Hope thishelps Let em know if you have anymore questions.

Myrna

Thanks for the tips, Myrna! I purchased my Fence used and printed out the instructions from your website.

I love your frosting image. That will put me in a baking mood when I am making a lot of circles! I will try holding the knob instead of the machine handle.

Today I drilled out a rubber eraser to use as my stopper, and so far so good. I really do think it helps the circles to keep the arm parallel to the table.

Thanks again for the advice.

Cathy in NC

Millennium

Archived