Paper-backed fusible web--holes when stitched

I just finished a wall hanging that had appliques applied using paper-backed fusible web. When I stippled over them it left sizable holes in the fabric that had the web. Is this common when using fusible web or was the wrong kind of fusible web used? Should I have used a smaller needle in those areas? The areas that didn't have the web were just fine. Thanks for your help!

Lisa Potter

Canby, Oregon

Guest Linda S

Lisa - that web fuses the fabric fibers in place so well that they don't spring back after having been pierced with the needle. If you're going to wash the quilt, there is a chance the fibers my soften up a bit and close the holes slightly. You might try dampening the top and brushing the holes with a soft toothbrush. A smaller needle may have helped some, but you will most likely always get holes with the fusible web.

Linda

When I quilt over that stuff I discuss it in advance with the piecer and recommend that she touch up the needle holes with the tip of an iron. Only way to avoid needle holes is to avoid the web, which may not be your best option.

Any time you puncture the stiff fusible web, like Heat N Bond, you'll get a hole. If you use a thicker thread (like Signature 40wt cotton) it isn't as noticeable. Finer threads--Superior SoFine, Bottom Line, thinner 50wt cottons--will show a lot more of the needle holes. The iron should take care of it, but make the piecer do it unless you want to assume responsibility if the iron burps or you inadvertently melt something.

JMO.

I always discuss appliqued quilts with my clients in advance and let them make the decision as to whether or not I will quilt over the actual appliques. On bed quilts that are going to be washed it isn't a big deal but with wall hangings I typically avoid the appliques if it's possible. As long as the clients know what to expect you shouldn't have a problems.

Happy Quilting :D

Archived