Turning quilt using the zipper system

pstagl

I have an APQS Millenium and use the quick zip system to load my quilts. I experimented and came up with a new (to me) method this week when I worked on quilts with borders that required me to turn the quilts. It worked so well I want to share the method.

When ready to turn the quilt to complete the side borders, I unzip the quilt, remove the zippers, and trim (I leave about an inch beyond the quilt top). Instead of using the same two zippers that were just removed, I re-use the one that had been attached to the #1 take-up roller and use another just like it (the zippers are marked "backing fabric--top left side). I pin the zippers to the two sides of the quilt that are ready to be stitched. I only zip one side to the leader. I zip it to the #1 take-up roller and drape the rest of the quilt under the levelling roller, under the #2 roller, and over the #3 roller (where I would normally zip the other end of the quilt). I use my cardboard quilt clips to hold the quilt as taut as I like. Then I am ready to set up the panto and stitch the outermost border. Next, I unzip that side and turn the quilt around and zip the other side. Only minor adjustments need to be made to the panto because the second side faces the same way the first side did (no need to turn panto upside down in order to line pattern up). When that outer border is finished, I set up the inner border on that side and stitch it. Then I unzip, turn the quilt again and stitch the other inner border. I think this whole process may be faster than my explanation! Sorry! Anyway, it worked great....

Cardboard quilt clips: This idea came from Sue Schmeiden.

Take the cardboard tube from the inside of a roll of batting. Cut it into pieces about 8 - 10 inches each. Then just slit each piece (a crummy scissors works okay ) lengthwise. These hold the quilt (or practice piece) as taut as you need.

Clear as mud???

Happy quilting!

Patty

Archived