Suggestions for a sock knocker

I am in a bit of the quilters version of writers block.

I have two quilts that I want to do as entries

The first one is a childrens quilt with the theme helping hands. This one will be judged. It is due in May

The other is a quilt for a show only at an arts museum. It has to be a quilt that I made that I have not shown anyplace else. This will probably be due in July.

I have EQ5 now and want to design something, but there are so many choices in it I cant keep my mind focused.

I really want to do something that will wow people on these. I have a wonderful talent and the best machinery and it is time I push my potential.

Could you all please share some ideas. Maybe if I can at least pull from a base then I can go from there. Anything is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Blessings and hugs

Tracey

Tracey,

My first thought is if you have a border, it should either have hands grasping hands...handshakes if you will, or maybe paperdoll like children holding hands... you know, the kind you fold the paper and cut then pull the edges apart?

Im not sure its original, or has much WOW factor LOL, but it was my thought. Can you post pictures of these tops so we can get a better look?

Cynthia

Absolutely Heirloom

APQS Millennium

Tracey: With EQ, you can make whatever you want to make. I usually end up with about 40 or more quilts in my design book before I decide on one design.

What are you thinking? Simple blocks, fancy quilting? Something really "knock your socks off" on the block design? Have you decided on the colors you want to use? Size of quilt?

The childrens quilt will be probably crib size, but no larger than lap.

I would prefer something pieced. I really don't want to do any hand applique for childrens quilts. They are used to frequently and I am afraid that it wont last.

I have been thinking about the desigs that make patterns, but I dont know how to incorporate the helping hands them into it. Maybe some color choices would be able to incorporate my them, for example - the breast cancer uses pink..

Maybe if you can tell me what some of the other places use for their color, that would help.

Blessings and hugs,

Tracey

Tracey, I am new, but have EQ5 as well and most of my more successful quilts have come from there. Scan a bunch of your fabric choices and use the real thing when designing. I am so focussed on construction that my fiance loves playing with the program and I get to sew. Perhaps another eye that is close to you can give you an opinion and you can focus on construction. I never make anything that he designs (too wild) but it does open me up to get my direction and see patterns that I may have not otherwise.

There is a quilt pattern from c.1935 called Baby Bunting Fans that has lots of movement and color opportunities. I found it in the Better Homes & Gardens Grandma's Best Full-Size Quilt Blocks but you could probably find it on the internet too. The book has some wonderful vintage patterns and this one would be different from most of the baby quilts today.

You might consider an album quilt for the one due in July. It would really show off your talent because it incorporates piecing, applique, sometimes a little embroidery, and lots of quilting. Album quilts are really beautiful.

Just some ideas . . . let us know what you decide.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your ideas.

I have kinda given up on the baby quilt. I have asked everyone and no one seems to know what to do. I am just gonna concentrate on the show in July and my customers quilts.

My last ditch effort for the children's quilts will be if I see something at the quilt show here at the end of the month.

Blessings and hugs

Tracey

Guest Linda S

Tracey -

I have EQ5 and, while I love it for some things, I find that it makes me think too much "inside the box." You could do something with hands by using fusible applique. If you use the very light fusible material, and machine stitch down the edges, I don't think those patches will come off even a very well used child's quilt. Get our some paper and just draw. If you're not very good at drawing, look at some children's coloring books or similar items for inspiration. Have a child draw you a picture. I find that some of the best ideas come from the mind of a child. Don't give up -- explore and have fun!

Linda

Archived