foundation paper piecing a Mariner's compass

Is there any way to easily foundation paper piece a Mariner's compass? Today's project is a 24" Mariner's compass circle, just to prove to myself that I can do it. I drafted it, removed the outer circle pattern in one piece, which left the actual compass. I quartered it and started piecing, but then discovered that I'm going to have to split my quartered pieces in half again. Does this sound right? I thought there was a way to do it in 4 sections.

I have seen the 8 pointed MC, in paper piecing, and didn\'t get it because the background for each quarter was in 4 pieces, as were the colored parts.. No idea now who put it out.. Might check Quilters Cache.. she has thousands, well over a thousand of free blocks and many are paper pieced.. they could be enlarged if not big enough.

RitaR

Hi Teresa

I like to use freezer paper, only instead of sewing on the paper, I fold it back and sew along the fold. With this technique you can see easily if your fabric is the right shape and size because the folded paper pattern and your piece you are adding on should like up. Trim the seam, and then press the freezer paper over the newly sewn piece, pressing just short of your next sewing line. Rinse and repeat.

I found this technique in Judy Mathieson\'s book "Mariner\'s Compass Quilts.

Katie

• 3 weeks later...

I took a class with Judy last year and worked on a compass from one of her books, of course it still isn\'t completed. If I remember correctly we did the individual rays separately using freezer paper then sewed the rays together. It was kind of fussy piecing because the segments in the rays don\'t go together the way you would think that they would. Each ring is then added on, one at a time. Teresa, is sounds like you might be working on one similar to mine. DB

Teresa, That\'s beautiful!!! I love the geese. It\'s much different than mine. My rays are pieced and give a different effect. Your geese are much fancier. I would post a picture if I could figure out how to post one on this site. I tried to post one the other day of a red and green quilt that I was working on and after about half an hour I gave up. I\'d love to see your quilt when it\'s done. DB

Archived