Slight Bobbin Problem

I'm experiencing an intermittent bobbin problem. When it happens, it happens several times....then I'm OK for awhile. Here's the problem. I'll be stitching along and notice the bobbin thread is gone. this is supposed to happen when you run out of bobbin thread, but this happens at different stages of bobbin fullness. So, I clip the top thread, move the head to the end of the quilt and remove the bobbin case from the shuttle area. Sometimes I get the whole thing, sometimes I just get the case as the thread end is caught. I'm not talking about big wads of thread, it is usually just one thread caught between the hook and the case shuttle....or, between the silver and the black metal. It is usually wedged in pretty good, and if you don't get it all out the first time you will be plucking it out again in about 10 or 12 stitches.

I've changed bobbins, types of bobbins, cleaned, oiled, re threaded, switched threads completely and I can say that I still have a problem. Sometimes it won't happen in a quilt session....sometimes it happens repeatedly. I usually clean the shuttle area, then oil and try again. If it still persists I say unlady like remarks and turn it off.

I have not found one thread that it happens with more than another, but I usually use either prewounds or those I have filled wth BottomLine. I make sure the bobbin is turning clockwise when it is installed. My stitches look good on the back, so I don't think it is a tension problem.

So, why is the thread getting caught in the shuttle? Is there a fix?

Thanks,

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

If you take your needleplate back so you can see from the top down, you'll see a black finger like piece sticking into the top portion of your hook assembly. It is inserted into a little notch. The "finger" should only be in the notch about 1/3 of the way in. you should see some daylight between the end of the finger and the back wall of the notch. If this finger is too far in the notch, your threads will get caught as it passes through. You will see a screw that holds this finger to the machine. By loosening the screw, you can slide the finger in and out of the notch. This would be the first place that I would check. If nothing there, I would check for small burrs that could be snagging the thread and causing it to get caught. If this doesn't work or you can't find anything, be sure and give us a call.

Take care,

Mark APQS

Archived