Tripping Down Under

Having entered the prime of our lives (kids out of the house, willing to explore new things and places, husbands also out of house or Very understanding) there is a group of quilters I regularly travel with who are thinking about tripping to Australia in a year or two. What major quilt show should we not miss? Are there areas of the country where we could more easily explore native culture and cloth/quilting styles?

Are there some Quilting shops we would be absolutely nuts not to see?

Have any of you done a down under shop hop and would be willing to share your stories?

Thanks, Martha

Hi Martha

I guess I am well qualified to answer your questions.

The biggest quilting show is in Sydney in late June, another almost as big is in Melbourne and the month can change but I think it tends to be more in July lately.

There are shop hops arranged in Melbourne and probably the other states from time to time.

We have some very nice little patchwork shops here in the suburbs and some that take an all day trip to get to. Most (95%) of our fabric comes from the USA though.

For culture, gardens, beautiful buildings and some modern ugly ones, and great restaurants you can't beat Melbourne, actually you can't beat Melbourne for anything! Some might disagree - I guess. Queensland has the rainforests, aboriginal shows and cultural displays, and the Barrier Reef with its beautiful coral. Sydney has the opera house and bridge. Those are all on the east coast and are easy to travel from one to another by plane. On the west coast we have the beautiful city of Perth, with its wineries, cheese and chocolate factory out in the country.

Our current tourism ad is getting some attention for its language, I believe it is only allowed on air in the USA after the children have gone to bed and has been banned in Britain!

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. My email address is:smo61581@bigpond.net.au

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

Well Linda, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

We love Americans and Canadians over here and we have so much to see. I'm sure you would have fun.

Maybe a bunch of you could get together and come as a group. What about it?

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

Hi everyone,

I am very interested to hear other people's problems with CQ. I have had my CQ for nearly 3 months. I have yet to do a quilt with it! I do not trust it to do my own quilts let alone a customers - when I did - I had to do 6 hrs of unpicking:mad: I have had problem after problem. I have just downloaded the 200.7 version again and I hope that this time the problems will be fixed:) CQ costs a lot of money andI do agree with Sue that there are always gliches with new software but this is ridiculous.

Archived