Rayon backing????

A friend gave me an "unliked top" to practice my quilting on - this will be the first on my machine. The backing didn't feel like cotton but I laundered/dried it with plans to seam the back. When I removed it from the dryer -- it didn't need pressing.

A burn test leads me to believe the backing is rayon. I have never used rayon in a quilt and don't know how it will quilt up (or even sew). Should I use this or am I better off getting a cotton backing to finish the quilt?

Is this a really stupid question or does no one really have any idea? I am not sure it is rayon but from an internet posting, its lack of ash in the burn test leads me to this conclusion.

My friend won't care either way but I don't want to create more frustration for myself because of the backing - as I know my first time quilting will create enough frustration for me.

Suggestions, please.

I don't think it is because someone thinks it is a stupid question! I really haven't used Rayon at all so have no answer for you. I do know that my LQS sells itbut I never asked about it and know nothing about it. Here is the link if you want to give them a call maybe they can advise. They open at 10 am EST http://www.adirondackquilts.com/

good luck.

I have not run across any rayon for a backing either but I have had some in a pieced top. It actually quilted up pretty good but it did have a tendency to travel so I just went a little slower than usual. I wish I could be of more help. I think you will probably be fine Let us know what you decide and how it turns out

I haven't used rayon for a backer either, but I think that Bekah gave you a good tip. Go SLOW & Know that it will have a little stretch. It will be a great practice piece cause you will be able to tell all of us who haven't worked on rayon the tips and tricks to help all of us if we get some in the future. I say GO FOR IT....

And there are no stupid questions here.....

Let us know how it goes.:)

Archived