Featherz template

carolinequilts

Hi Michael. I'm waiting for your forum to start up! In the meantime, I've been playing with my new toy. Maybe you or someone can answer me and let me know if I'm doing something wrong...

I'm testing the large feather (11.5"). I'm using a contrasting thread because for now, I want to see what's going on. I'm getting a thread build up on the stem - not always perfectly backtracked. Is there a trick to get nice clean backtrack lines or should I just PPP some more? In the pictures on the blog they are all so nice looking, but then again, they are always with matching thread so maybe it just doesn't show..

Thanks,

Hi Caroline - I found I had the same problem but finally figured out that I had to slow down a tad and try to keep my stylus pressed against one side or the other, trying to stay in the same place you first covered the area. Don't try to go down the middle of the groove. Gently go around the curves and the spines and you'll have no problem. Good luck, they are fabulous templates. If you look closely at some of the freehand feathers and wreaths, you will also see some of this same problem. Just remember, there is nothing perfect in life.

Archived