spacing panto's

Am fairly new to this business only a little over a year. I am wanting to do more panto's but would welcome any learning hints. Example; how do you know how many panto lines you can get on the quilt with them evenly spaced?? Some quilts tend to grow in length and I have found that your not always able to get a whole last run in.... Any advice appreciated. Thanks, M

Good Morning "M",

I took a class last year at MQS from Marsha Stevens on pantos. She calculates the spacing of her pantos by figuring the length of the top, the height of the panto, the spacing designated to be between the designs, (usually indicated on the pattern), etc.

There are panto measuring devices, such as a rolled paper with markings, you lay your quilt out flat, and lay this pattern along the length of the quilt, it is marked with registration marks to help you figure out where to start your panto so that it is evenly spaced.

There is a computer program that you can order that is in Excel. You put in your measurments, and it calculates where you need to start stitching.

I don't use either of these methods. I probably don't do this correctly, but I was over whelmed sitting in that class hearing all of these steps you had to take to do a simple pantograph. This is usually the least expensive type of quilting that you do on a quilt, it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to set it up.;)

You can find directions in Carol Thien's book, that is what I went by when I was learning. Basically I make sure the highest point on the panto fits on the top of the quilt. I work my way quilting across then when I roll the pattern, if it indicates 1/2" spacing, I eyeball it. Then I run my machine across the quilt in a dry run just to make sure the new line of quilting doesn't intersect the last line of quilting. If it looks good, I quilt it. When I get to the last row, sometimes it fits:cool: Most times it doesn't:o That's okay, my customers don't have a problem with it, and neither do I, it looks fine and finished.

Sometimes when you try to use the spacing it out method, you get big spaces between the lines of quilting, I just don't think I would like that.

Okay, that was my two cents. I'm sure others will chime in!

Good luck with whatever method you use.

Mary Beth

Archived