Starting a Quilting Service

I am considering getting a Millennium to start a quilting business. I have been quilting for many years and love the entire process. How long does it take to learn to use the long arm machines? When would I be able to start working for customers? Also, I live in a rural area. How can I be sure that I will have enough work?

Julie

Well you have great taste's in quilting machines, APQS is the best out there!

It took me a good month of practice, practice, practice before I felt comfortable to take a customer quilt. I did have experience quilting on my domestic. I was ready for more custom work after about a year. You should be very confident and qualified before taking on the heirloom/custom work as your name is on it. That does not really matter though as you will make more money with the standard quilting anyway. When you purchase a machine from APQS you get a free beginner class with your machine. This will get you well on your way. It includes a lot of business information and you will learn all of the details of operating your machine and different techniques.

As far as getting customers you can advertise at your closest guild & quilt shop. You can also quilt class samples for quilt teachers. Best thing is to get your quilts around other quilters, it will almost be automatic. They will start asking, "who did the quilting?" Enter your quilts in shows, ask your first customers to refer you to their quilting friends. Most quilters I know have plenty of business. You should not have a problem getting busy once you get your name out there. Where are you? Your local APQS rep can help you as well. There are also Longarm List publications that you can join too.

To find out how much work is out there you have to ask around. Talk to the quilters in your area. Also, if you know any Longarm Quilters in you area ask them how busy they are.

Table size. I tell customers if they have the room for the '14 table and it will not be in your way get it. I have the '12 and I can do a king size. I have not received a customer quilt so far that did not fit my machine. If I did I would refer them to an LA friend that has a '14 table.

My experience has been that if a person knows if they are going into business and start off with a smaller machine they usually will trade up in the first year. Not to say that their aren't plenty of quilters that do business with smaller machines. Consider the price difference too. Could you use the extra $1,900 on supplies? Or for only $1900 more I can get the Millie. It depends on your way of thinking.

FYI- another consideration, the prices of all APQS machines will be going up June 1st.

Hope this helps. Let us know how and what you do! You know that anyone that represents APQS would be happy to take your machine order! LOL!

Cheryl

Archived