Thread Getting Caught When Bringing Up Bobbin Thread

My top thread is getting caught in the bobbin mechanism both when I try to bring up the bobbin thread at the beginning of a stitching and at the end when I am trying to bring the bobbin thread up to cut it. This is a recent problem which I didn't have prior to making an adjustment at the rear of the machine on the magnet to prevent the flywheel from oscillating. The oscillating problem is fixed; however, the bobbin mechanism looks slightly off-center when you look at it. But my stitches look fine and I'm not having any issues with thread breakage. Hope someone can help.

Alice:(

John, Thanks. I'm assuming you're talking about making an adjustment to the Mag Collar, which is what I did in the first place. We had to move it 1/4" in order to stop the oscillating. But I'm thinking that perhaps we moved it too far and now I'm having this other problem. We'll try to move it back a tiny bit and see if this helps without getting the oscillating problem back.

Well, John, I've gone in and adjusted the Mag Collar again. I'm not sure what you mean by 1/3 of the way in the slot. My finger was evidently way too far to the right. I adjusted the mag collar and the oscillating came back. So then I decided to move the magnet to the other side of the mark and now my finger is too far to the left - it is right in the middle. Guess I need to keep adjusting!

Hi Alice,

How is the speed of the needle up/down? If it is too fast or to slow, then you could get almost the same problem..

As John said, make sure that the re-taining finger is only a little ways into the grove ( dark grey basket) otherwise the thread will get tangled on it! Also, make sure the hook is stopping just to the right (from front looking down) of the finger, otherwise you can have trouble with the thread getting caught... when checking where it is stopping, you need to cycle up/down 5-6 times and get the average of were it is stopping..

Let me know if you still can't get it and we will do some trouble shooting over the phone..

Good Luck

John, thanks again. Connie, I'll be calling you! I messed around with the mag collar for about 2 hours yesterday - no adjustment I could make would work. Either I put up with the oscillating or I put up with the thread getting caught! There seems to be no inbetween. If I adjust it close to the original mark, I still get oscillating. I have to go the whole distance which is about 1/4" before the oscillating stops, then the thread gets caught. I have adjusted it both ways, on either side of the mark. If I go to the left of the mark, the finger stops too far to the right. If I go to the right of the mark, the finger stops pretty much in the middle of the groove or actually beyond it. Talk about frustration! I finally adjusted it as far as I could to the left of the groove, the finger is pretty far off to the right, and although I'm not having the same problem with bringing up the bobbin thread, the top thread is getting caught at the end of my stitching.

I'll call you later today!

Archived