Monofilament Thread

I'm a newbie. I'm going to quilt a small baby quilt with appliqued blocks made by different people, and because I'm still not too steady with my stitching, I want to use monofilament to outline the applique. I ordered poly monofilament thread from Superior, but it's on regular spools, not cones. Can I put the spool on the vertical spool holder, just like a cone, or do I need to make some adjustment? Also, do I use the monofilament in the bobbin? Would I be more successful getting nylon monofilament, and does it come in cones?

I have a Liberty--wonderful Lady, she is!

Guest Linda S

It would be better if you had the dual spool holder attachment that you can order from AQPS - I think it's listed under the Hartley manufacturing products. The way thread unwinds from the spool vs. the cone really does make a difference, even though it may not seem so. For a baby quilt, I'd stick with the poly monofilament. Nylon can (although I'm not sure it does) become brittle with repeated washings, and you don't want scratchy nubbins on tender baby skin.

Linda

Alayne

If you are going to use the monofilament thread in your bobbin - be careful you will need to change the tension ont he bobbin winder before you thread the bottom.

I wasn't aware of this and the first time I threaded the bobbin with monofilament it buckled the bobbin.

Haven't tried it since but I was told to loosen the bobbin.

Good luck

Alayne, I use the monopoly thread from Superior that is on the large spool. I use it on my vertical spool holder with no problem. I shouldn't say NO problem; I did have to put a thread sock over the spool to keep the thread from jumping off the spool too freely. But once I did that, I had no trouble with it.

Archived