organizing digital files

georgia

After a recording breaking Christmas season, (thankful, but exhausted), I find myself with the remnants of many quilts (different kinds of batting, new threads and lots of new digital designs). In an effort to make 2010 a little less harried I need some better way to organize my designs. I thought I was doing a fair job of keeping things where I could find them, but NO. Can anyone relate. I am looking for ideas, software, etc. that will help.

I store my digital designs on my hard drive in a folder. I have sub folders that make my searching easier, Quick and Easy, All Over, Animals, Flowers, Leaves, Kids, Babies, Sports, Scrolls, Fancy (time consuming), etc. I started out printing all my designs (thumbnail) and then having them bound in spiral books under the subs but I find it easier to just search the files. I can get them from the computer to whatever. Is this what you mean? I also have a sub called Fast which is what I use often for community quilts that are so busy you'd never see the quilting.

I use an application called Evernote. I can take a screenshot of each pattern and past the screenshot into a note along with the location of the file in my computer. Then I can place multiple tags on each of those screenshots.

For example, let's say I have a contemporary floral panto. I would take a screenshot of the panto and paste that shot into a note. I would attach tags to the note like- floral- modern- E2E- roses... or anything else I want.

Later I can sort my notes by tags. It helps me tremendously! I have about 700+ notes on Evernote so far and I add more all the time.

I'm not affiliated with Evernote at all- I just like it!

HTH!

Archived