Poorly cut backing fabric

Here is an old post about staples.

Explanation and stapler type: http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=17727&page=1#pid203483

This one has pictures of staples in place on the zippered leaders - http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=17750&page=1#pid203935

I love using the stapler and I haven't pinned a quilt in over 2 years. Dory I'm glad you like it too!

If you don't square your backing fabric you could get tucks and pleats in the back of the quilt. You cannot depend on your customer to square the quilt. I rip the top and bottom of the back to get parallel lines. If I see the sides are a mess I will rip them also. If it's a pieced back I will fold it over and over and lay it on top of my machine and cut a straight line with a ruler and mat on my back table.

If I square and load and there is a 1-2 inch sag on one side, I pull it up under the top roller canvas and add a few more pins to take out the extra sagging fabric. It's just a tuck about 6-12 inches.

It takes a few extra seconds to do but eliminates a lot of headaches. One of the worst things someone can say about your quilting is that you have tucks and pleats in your quilting. That will kill your business quick.

I also lay my backing over all the rails and let it hang to the floor then place my quilt top on top of it to make sure I have a enough backing before I load the quilt.

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who doesn't square the backing fabric. I've been feeling guilty about the way I do it because I've read how important it is to square it first. I just lay the fabric over the rollers, straighten the sides and keep it nice and flat between the rollers, then I pin, leaving the edges hanging over the edge of the leader. When Iv'e pinned I cut the edges level with the leader if there is a lot there. Sometimes it will be zero on one side and 6 inches on the other if the backing has been cut unevenly. I started doing it this way because I always seemed to get puffs or wrinkles in the backing,

Archived