Irena Bluhm-colored wholecloths

Hi Jo Ann,

I had the pleasure of taking Irena's first class in her studio.

She uses Rose Art or Crayola, we have plenty of those at our house if you need any!:P

You can E-mail me if you have other questions on her techniques, I am happy to help you! ;)

Guest Linda S

No. Coloring with colored pencils or crayons will not be permanent, especially if you ever intend to wash the quilt. You will need to seal the color with fabric medium, and it can cause your creation to become stiff. There are many methods for coloring quilts which ARE permanent and allow for much gentler subtle coloring than the colored pencils. Try Tsukineko inks with their marker applicators (can be blended until they are heat set with an iron), Fabrico Markers, or you can paint with fabric dyes. I use Procion dyes (a technique I learned from Jessica Schick). There are also oil-based paint stiks (Shiva) which need a few days to dry and then can be heat set with an iron. All these methods are permanent and will give you a nice soft fabric piece to work with.

Linda

I recommend the Tsukineko ink. I just used it on that flower garden quilt. It is excellent for blending colors and you can make it as dark or as light as you want to. It is really dark right out of the bottle, and you have to rub your applicator on a piece of muslin until you get the shade you want. It is great stuff, especially for flowers, animals, and people.

Teresa

While I haven't tested this, I have been told that coloring with colored pencils which have a high amount of pigment (such as Prismacolor) and then heat settin using an iron is permanent. I'm planning on doing this to get myself out of a fabric shortage - I started a quilt with a background of an almost black batik with flashes of turquoise in it. Of course I ran out but found very similar cloth without the turquoise flashes. I'm adding them back in with Prismacolor. I'll test the washability and let you know.

• 1 month later...

Archived