Thread Genie

I am new...new...new!

I have not even purchased a longarm yet, but am in the final machine choice phase. I seem to like features of the HQ16 including its size and price but am not sure about the throat size. The Millenium has a thread cutter and more quilting size options...but takes up more space and I've read that some quilters don't like the wheels(?).

I will be checking out the great classified section for a used machine that includes extra goodies and is near enough to test drive before I buy. I want to create art quilts and also quilt "regular" sized quilts.

While searching the Web, I came across a nifty sounding tool called the Thread Genie. It is a boomerang shaped attachment that has four threading slots and discs. It replaces the longarm's upper tension.

A user can make adjustments for maybe up to four different thread types. The device has 4 different tension discs that you'd initially adjust for each regular and specialty thread that you might want to sew with. When changing thread you'd select whatever tension was pre-set for the change choice. It might cut down on tension adjustment time....if it works!

Has anyone ever heard about it or had experience using it? Do you think that it would work well on a Mellinium or a HQ16? It sounds great for thread embellishment.:)

Archived