Consistency in stitches

I'm working on a top where I need to quilt hexagons around applique designs (24 to be precise). I'm using the extended base and the accompanying ruler. Stitch regulator (Millennium) is set at 11. I'm starting from the left going counterclockwise. Things seem to go fine until I get to the bottom right of the hexagon. When I tilt the ruler on the diagonal to continue, it seems that the machine doesn't want to go anywhere and I have to force it to go. Thus some of my stitches are tiny, some are fine, and some are about 1/8 inch long. I'm constantly ripping out. I don't know if this is happening because I'm moving the machine too slowly, or if I'm pressing down on the ruler too hard, or if I'm forcing the needle too hard up against the ruler?

As if this isn't enough, on the outside of this hexagon design I have to do a prestamped scallop design. Same problem. (To keep the scallop design, I'm fortunate that I bought the acrylic paisleys and they work great in helping me outline).

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

When you use the base expander you will loose some sewing space because of it hitting the front rollers (not much though). Also pushing the ruler down too hard can also cause the drag when doing ruler work causing inconsistant stitches on a stitch regulated machine. Put the silacone dots on the back side of your ruler or template to help keep the ruler from sliding so much. You can get the dots at most sewing supply stores.

Joann

Joann,

When I started using the base expander I immediately noticed the loss of some sewing space. I wish that was my problem, but I'm working up higher and the expander doesn't hit the front rollers. The ruler I am using which is an APQS one, does have those white dots to prevent sliding. But I have others more sandpapery that I'll try.

Thank you for your input.

Sharon

Guest Linda S

If it isn't the base expander that's getting stuck, is there something else going on? Are you near the beginning of the quilt? I sometimes find that when I first start out, the area where I have zipped or pinned the quilt to the leader (and then the batting, etc., gets under the leveler bar and can cause things to jam up with the expanded base on. To avoid this problem, and to get back the space you lost, take off your rollers and raise them just a tad (maybe one twist?) and put them back on. You won't run into them anymore, your machine won't get stuck, and you'll have all your quilting space back. :cool:

Linda

Archived