heavy fabric and thread

Help!! I need to know if anyone has had experience using heavy thread and fabric on their long-arm. I own anAPQS Millennium. I've been asked to quilt saddle pads using canvas, batting and nylon using 93 wt thread. I realize tension will have to be altered. My main concern is that I may someway damage my machine...which would not make me happy. Thanks for your in put.

Teresa,

You would definitely want to use a 5.0 needle so that you don't have needle flex, and quilt slowly. You'll also have to most likely raise your hopping foot. If you quilt slowly, you'll greatly reduce the chance of breaking a needle. (That's the biggest "damage" risk..that a broken needle or two will put a burr on to the hook assembly, which would have to be buffed out.) You may also experience skipped stitches if you move too quickly.

I have quilted through ostrich feathers, upholstery fabric, and 3/4 inch foam with few problems. Odd things can be done if you have a little patience:)

I had the Pleasure:o:o:o of quilting 2 very heavy spray painted pieces of heavy canvas together with a dirty smelly wool blanket as batting, which these college boys brought me to quilt. They and all their friends spray painted their idea of a very interesting :)quilt pattern on both sides, it was intended to be used as a sofa blanket and was a wedding present from the gang. I had no problem doing this with my gammill premier. I used a 4.5 needle and used King Tut thread stitching rather slowly to avoid all the keepsakes they'd tied, glued, stapled, nailed or sewn on before bringing it to me. They were so cute and sincere offering to bring a ball of yarn and a darning needle if my machine didn't handle it, and asked if I'd show/help them sew it together by hand. Gotta love these kids;););)

Terry

Archived