when to block the quilt

Hi you all,

I just took of a quilt which I will send in for show. I read about quilting for show and learned that I have to block the quilt. I am only wondering why? I think I will not wash it, the blue lines come out wonderful when sprinkled with a mixture of baking soda and water and the quilt lays as flat on the floor as a new piece of paper.

And.. I'm runing a bit out of time, because I need to put the binding and sleeve on, handbast it and get it to the MQS by monday...

It is all a first to me and I have to say that although I'm proud of my work still being a novice, I'm very hesitated that so many people will see the quilt. On the other hand, sending it to the US is a bit anominous. Since I cannot attend the show, I will never overhear someone judging (LOL). Although I would love to be so small that I could go into the box with it..

Please give some advise. I can wash and block the quilt this evening, hoping it will be dry tomorrow afternoon..

Thank you so much!

Wendy,

Congratulations on you for entering your quilt!!!! No matter what people say or the judges remark you should hold your head up very high!

As for blocking, it is rare that a quilt will be completely square right off the frame and that is the purpose of blocking. If your quilt is completely flat that you did good! The reason for blocking is to make sure your quilt hangs very straight and smooth. Personally I would still wash the quilt to get all the blue ink out of the fibers but I know there are others that will disagree with me. Good luck and I wish I could see it hanging!

Wendy,

congrats on putting a quilt in a show. That is very exciting. Blocking a quilt is a great idea because it usually will help the quilt hang better, more square, etc. Plus, sometimes those blue marks tend to surface later, and you wouldn't want that to happen for a judge to see. I'm sure other, more professional quilters who have qiulted for show will have better insight for you. Good luck, I'll look for your quilt at MQS.

Archived