Getting Business Tip - Guilds & Groups

Are you a member of a quilt guild or small group? If you're not already a member and wish to join, I'd recommend against walking into the first meeting and announcing that you're a longarmer and you're wanting business! It's been done many times and I've never heard of it being successful. Most every guild has their share of longarmers and some can be quite territorial! They do not always see you as an addition to their little group but sometimes they see you as competition! Women can be brutal. I've seen new longarmers join the guild and on their very first meeting, get the point across somehow that they're new and they want business and I've seen fire in the eyes of the "old time" longarmers sitting there.

If your guild has a "show & tell" time, you have a captive audience who will be more than happy to view and quietly critique your longarm skills. When I was ready to show my work, I brought at least two quilts to every show & tell. I never made it known to those who didn't already know me that I had a longarm and wanted business even though there was only one other longarmer in the guild at that time. The first time I showed a quilt, someone asked who quilted it and I said I did. Do you have a longarm? YES!! I still didn't ask for business .. I let them come to me and that way I didn't feel I was being pushy or offending anyone.

Longarmers are protective of what they view as their "turf" and even some customers are just as protective of their longarmers. I've been standing in a group and one person would ask me about my longarming business - scheduling info or pricing - and I could see someone else in the group bristle and I know she was thinking "I use Suzie Q and there's no way I'd two-time her and use someone else."

Get to know your group. If your group is mostly made up of quilters who will struggle to come up with $$ to pay for quilting, you may want to show more pantos or meanders (lower price range) quilts. Every now and then throw in a knock your socks off trapunto quilt but for the most part, don't let them get the idea that all you do is upper end quilting.

If your groups has many members who own their own home quilting system and do mostly meanders but would pay someone to do their fancy smancy quilts, then show more of the knocks your socks off type quilts.

Small groups are often offshoots of large guilds or they are formed to meet the needs of the quilting community - people who can't meet when the regular guild meets, people who need more individual attention, people wanting to learn specific aspects of quilting. See if there are any small groups in your area and think about joining one or more of those.

Sound helpful to anyone?

I handled my guild much the same as you Judy. I was a member a good while before I bought my machine. I kept a very low profile about my services and just brought my quilts for sharing (show and tell). It didn't take long for everyone to inquire. I didn't step on any Longarmer's toe's which served me well, I am very good friend's with some of the other LA'ers now. We now have our own group and have started a mini group for specifically machine quilting. Guild members who have machine quilting know how (us LA'ers mostly) and anyone who needs help with how to quilt their tops meet every other month. This is great for business. Guild members will see a style they like with one of us and figure it is a lot easier to have it quilted instead of doing it themselves! I have to say that I am a little put out when new Longarmers use the bold approach you were describing. It is somewhat disrespectful to come to your first or second meeting and expect business. I realize time can be an issue for some and they can't always make the meetings. I feel that some effort should be made to assimilate into the group and offer something with out expectations. Meaning -volunteering, lend a helping hand to board members. Guilds are non-profit and rely on everyone to pitch in and be an active participant. Trust me, you will get much more in return. Friendships, networking and yes business. I have had the experience several times of the Bold New La'er come to a meeting or two advertise their business and never see them again. Not at the Holiday Brunch or the Community Quilt Sew day. To the point -be a sincere, contribution to your guild. It will re-pay you in ways you never expect.

Can you tell I'm partial to my guild?!

I was talking about my Longarm friends in my guild. It has served me very well to befriend these ladies. I highly suggest that you network with other Longarm Quilters. It can be very beneficial to you all. Not only can you learn from each other (much like we do here), but you can also refer each other if your on vacation, sick, in a bind, an emergency comes up, they may have a different style that you are not comfortable with (your customer will respect and thank you), and if you receive a quilt that does not fit your 10 or 12 foot table you can refer to your friend with the 14'. This is a win win for all and takes away the competition. Sometimes a team can be stronger than an individual. This can also lead to the experienced LA'er to move up the ladder so to speak. By mentoring the new comer's the advanced quilter can easily move into teaching. Making money in other ways besides quilting for customers. The novice quilter's will be grateful for the lesson's, and this will also open the market for them with customers now that the advanced quilter is teaching. -May want to quilt less and teach more. Hope that made sense!

PS -The friendships I've made over ride any of the benefits!

Archived