MnM instulation hint

Thought I'd share so maybe someone else wouldn't get frustrated and have to do lots more work.

Before you take your machine apart take a look at your carriage. On both my machine and the first set I installed the carriage was slanted toward toward the front. The difference between the carriage and the table is about 1/4 of an inch from front to back. If you install the MnM's according to directions you will still have this slant on the carriage. It was not really an issue with the old wheels but with MnM's the machine rolls forward quite rapidly. OUr machines are 2002 and 2003 not sure if that makes a differenc. Made it almost impossible to even thread the needle!

On the first machine I added an extra 1/4 inch spacer to the front wheels and that has worked great. On my machine the bolts on the front wheels weren't long enough to do that. I took the back axel off and removed the spacers and placed them on the other side of the axel as the bolts were too long to just eliminate them entirely. Both solutions evened out the carriage.

Not fun having to tear it apart again but it's now working great. Then had another issue as the timing was off abit so had to re-adjust that My plans to start ditching this quilt about 9am didn't happen. One of those days.

Now to try ditching with my new wheels! They did feel really good on the test piece even if my needle was making holes with no stitch!! And it sounds like new after re-packing my grease. .Now also I have a needle that is making stitches YEA!!!

MMM the challanges of long-arm machines. Glad my domestic just stitches and purrs. Now my Millie is purring as well!!!

Guest Linda S

Jeri - I didn't have any trouble with level, but I did have a question about the encoder box on the frame set of wheels. Does it end up installed upside down on the Liberty when you're finished? Mine is and I'm not sure it's supposed to be that way. It works fine, but I'm a bit nervous about having the encoder wheel upwards on the back of the machine. Did I do it right?

Linda

Linda, I have heard there is something different on the Liberty install but not sure what it is. Might give Amy a call tomorrow. Would love to know if it goes on upside down. I don't think it will affect anything being upside down--that's just an opinion.

I'm thinking the the angle issue on the carriage might be something on the older machines or maybe one of those mistakes that were in the installation manuals back then as there were several. I know on the first one I checked with Amy and she said the carriage should be level.

Archived