Technology new and OLD

kusmaulk

Recently, I've had the great fortune to acquire a Bliss system (waiting for DH to return from a trip and help me install it) and a 95 year old treadle machine. I'm so excited about both purchases, and about using both of them. The treadle is so pretty, I'm thinking about keeping it in my living room. Now it is in my shop, but the shop is not air conditioned, so I think it would be happier in the house.

I worked on cleaning and oiling the treadle today. Waiting for a belt, but I wanted to see if she would sew. The only thing that I got stuck on was trying to access the bobbin case to loosen the tension. I could NOT figure out how to get to that tiny little screw. (It's a Singer Red eye machine) If any of you have one or know how this is done, I would very much appreciate the info. I looked for awhile online, but came up empty, and the manual just says to make sure the tension is loose enough. Doesn't explain how. Mine is too tight. Making the fabric pucker a bit.

Anyway, I've been thinking it's kinda cool how this great old machine and the new Bliss upgrade are making me very happy at the same time!

Spent some more time this afternoon with 'Faith', my new treadle. Getting to know her better. I had a great time sorting through the 7 drawers full of old timey stuff. Found a lot of interesting items for sure!

I installed the belt today, but may need to tighten it. It works fine for sewing, but was slipping when I wound a bobbin. The bobbin winder is very cool. Has an arm that swivels back and forth to guide the thread.

I still don't know how to access the bobbin case to adjust the tension. Still a mystery to me. Would love to learn about this, if any of you are mechanically inclined, and have dealt with this before.

There is a wonderful group called TreadleOn.net that has a wealth of people that are informed about treadles. I have a manual for the Singer 66, which a Red Eye is. I can send you scans of the process of removing the bobbin case, but I think you can access the adjusting screw w/o removing the case.

Just re-read your post; p.29 shows how to remove the bobbin case and warns "under no circumstance must the screw be loosened". That's the one.

Amelia

Archived