breaking needles

oh dear, I had such a wonderful time at Linda's yesterday with her Karen McTavish and all the other quilting buddies. Came home so excited to practice what I had learned, I have now joined the breaking needles club:( I can't say I am real excited about it. question, how do I tell if I have a burr? the manual says if you break a needle you will have a burr. Oh me oh my.

If you break a needle you may or may not get a burr. The best way to tell is to run a piece of panty hose over the bobbin casing, the hook assembly and through the needle hole on the throat plate. If it is snagging that probably indicates a burr. You can buy emery cloth at a auto store (Napa Autoparts) or hardware store for filing. Be sure that you DON'T file some parts of the hook assembly...check your manual it will tell you.

I broke a needle and found a burr on the bottom side of the needle hole. It is easier to tell on this piece by removing it from the machine. Know that when you take the screws out of the throat plate there are 4 washers under it...2 thick and 2 thin. Don't let them get away from you on the floor somewhere. Mine did and it was a search.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA:)

Archived