Advise on how to check for burrs

I am new to LA and have the opportunity to use a friends machine. She has not used it much and has experienced some thread breakage. I have been experiencing thread breakage, although slow it was workable. The latest quilt I loaded I can not go more than a few inches before the thread breaks! After all else, the next step is to check is for burrs. What am I looking for exactly. The thread shreds, especially when I change directions, although it is breaking just going straight. I am being extra careful because this is not my machine.

thanks for the suggestions!

Hi Julie,

Is the thread breaking above or below the eye of the needle? Raise the needle to the top point and bring the broken end of thread along the thread path to see where it is breaking.

To check for burrs above the needle, take a narrow cut of pantyhose nylon and run it through each pigtail guide to see if it will snag. If it does , sand out the rough spots or loosen the pigatail and turn it upside down to continue using it until it can be replaced.

If it is breaking at the needle, change needles and check that the needle is facing correctly (scarf at the back/bulge at the front) and facing froward.

If the thread is breaking below the needle, check with the nylon strip around the needleplate hole for nicks. These can be removed with very fine-grit sandpaper.

Use the photos in the manual for where to check on the hook assembly for nicks/burrs. The photos show where to look and how to remove.

Emery cord can be found at auto supply places and is a good thing to have on hand. Harbor Freight sells a set of tiny diamond files for about $8--I use them a lot, especially on grooved pigtails.

Another thought, if the thread is shredding, look at the needle first, back off on the tension--both top and bottom, and check that the thread isn't weak. Do the two-hand tug test and if the thread breaks easily, swap it out for something else.

Good luck--let us know how it is going.

Archived