Worn out and loose bobbin case????

I was quilting yesterday, stitch regulator on, and suddenly heard a metal on metal sound so stopped the machine and turned it off. I removed the bobbin case, in the back of my mind thinking it came out very easily or was loose. Replaced the bent needle which hadn't broken, reset the bobbin and bobbin case, checked the thread patch, took the Hartley base off, turned the hand wheel a couple of times to see the needle movement, did a test stich and everything seemed to be OK. I stitched about one minute and the same thing happened. This time I was careful to determine the bobbin case really was loose, and I had intentionally listened for the "snap" when I had set it in the hook assembly. In additional to all the previously mentioned things that I checked, this time I also replaced the bobbin case and stitched about 30 minutes without incident. What is going on? Did the bobbin case or flapper/handle/thingie on it just wear out? I've been using Magna Glide bobbins but can't imagine that makes a difference.

Carmen,

Sometimes the bobbin case will wear out and/or become out of shape. If you drop it, it could bend a little. If you have a 2nd bobbin case try it and see if the problem disappears. I would check to see if there is any slack in the hook and also check the hook retaining finger. It could also be a thread in the race. Get under the machine and have someone turn the fly wheel very slowly. (I can do this by myself it I really stretch.) Look for any fuzz or thread that may be caught in the hook area.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks, Sandra. The problem did seem to disappear when I changed the bobbin case. I consistently brush and blow out the bobbin area as well as the bobbin case and give it a drop of oil every couple of bobbins. I took another look and don't see any fuzz or thread. I won't get back to quilting until Thursday and I think I'll give it a WD-40 bath for good measure. Thanks for your help!

Archived