Thread Breaking with Rainbow Thread

Can someone please tell me the secret in using Rainbow by Superior threads? It keeps breaking after only a few stitches.

I have loosened both the top and bobbin tensions. It seems very loose to me now but its still breaking not looping.

I've changed needles.

I don't believe I have any burrs as my Millie is only 2 months old and this is my first real quilt after my 2 practice ones. The thread breaks mostly clean not shredded.

I've placed the thread spool in the horizontal position on the top front of the machine.

I have prewounds in the bobbin.

The Quilt is all cotton. Top, bottom and batting. I want to use the Rainbow poly only because it is the right varigated color. The machine ran fine yeaterday with Poly Quilter thread on the same type of quilt.

I can't think of anything else to do. I'm frustrated to tears. Of course its Sunday so I can't call anyone. Any Ideas out there?

Oh that is soooooooo frustrating!!! But figured out how to use Superior finally. First off I had to switch to cotton in the bobbin instead of the pre-wounds. I also work 'backwards' on the tension - I leave the bobbin tension alone. I loosen the top tension until there are loopies or very very loose stitches on the back and then start tightening it. Do a few stitches, check, tighten, until I get the stitch I want. You really have to loosen that tension waaaaaaay out to start this way. Hope you find a solution quick. Sigh, I still can't use the pretty varigated rayon thread:-(

Mary in CA

I think it is just something weird about the Rainbow thread. I tried for hours on several occasions to get it adjusted and never did. Now I will say that the cone of Rainbow did OK after several tweaks, but the spools of the very same thread were nothing but a headache. I have used Madiera Polyneon which is also a fine, slick thread with no problems. I know it has got to be a problem with the delivery, not the thread, but I can't figure it out!!

Cheryl

Rainbows are what I use exclusively and have never had a problem. However, I picked up a partially used spool on my last quilt and it just keep breaking and I could not find a reason, changed needles, checked the thread path, but eventually loosened the top tension to the point the screw was almost coming off and it ran fine, it does like the top tension loose. This was just a bizarre incident as far as I'm concerned as I had never had a problen with Superior threads before.

Hester M

I have had similiar problems with thread breakage using this thread. One cone ran just fine, the next cone in the same color broke constantly. It also jumped inside the thread take up lever (or whatever that silver thingy is called) and wound itself around the gears inside the side panel. That was the final straw. I love the colors, but its too fussy a thread for me. Now I use Signature Pixells and have very few problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived