Basting Tool

Good morning all....

I purchased this tool from Donita Reeve. It is supposed to be a basting tool, but the girl on the phone says it is what Donita also uses for SID. I just can't figure out how to use it for SID.

Does anyone have one like this? I'm thinking maybe those lines at each end have something to do with it. :o

I think (don't know) that you are suppose to put the foot in one of those "hook" things on the end and use the line on your seam line. I tried something like that when I first started and the hopping foot tangle with the ruler and (like when you hit a ruler) and scared me half to death...haven't tried it since because I am a chicken :). I wouldn't think you would use the flat side to stitch against because it dosen't look very long. Beats me. But I'll be glad to read the other responses. Sorry I can't help.

Hi Diane:)

The lenght of the straight side is more than long enough to do SID, I've seen smaller rulers sold for SID only.

And I heard that you can lower your hopping foot, so it would'nt hop up higher than the ruler, info on how should be in the manual.

& Don't be a chicken, LAer's have way more fun;)

Guest Linda S

Hmmm - I have to admit that I don't even see how it would be useful in basting! :P But, perhaps if those slots fit around the foot, you could put the etched line on the seam line and it would help you stay on track. I must admit my preferred tool for SID is the Best Ruler: http://www.bestquilter.com Megan Best and her DH make these rulers and they are a great help for SID. I see that the folks who make the plastic extended base (not Hartley Fence) have copied Megan's Ruler.

Linda

Linda....

Thanks for the website. That ruler looks great for SID. I think mine would work better if the little pieces on each end of the straight side were a little shorter. I'm wondering if this works better for a larger hopping foot. The one that Megan has looks like the two end pointy parts are shorter. Will have to look into that.

I had no interest in a basting tool. I do that pretty good freehand, but was told this would work great for SID so I sent for it.

Were you talking about my extended base? It's not plastic...it metal. I love it except when I use pantographs edge to edge. It bumps into the clips. Or even when I'm just working close to the edge I have to be really careful of the clips. Next time I do a panto I think I will put the old base back on for that purpose. My friend bought an A-1 and she can change her base by just clicking one off and clicking the extended base on. That sounds like a good idea to me instead of having to screw the extended base on.

Guest Linda S

LOL - no Diane - I have the very same extended base and I like it very much. There is a newer company that makes a screw-on extended base from plastic, like the rulers, and I was rather appauled that shortly after Megan introduced her Best SID Ruler, they came out with one that looked suspiciously like it, although it is flaming orange instead of clear.

Linda

Has anyone checked out the SID tool that was mentioned a couple weeks ago by Larry Liner on this forum? I just e-mailed for a picture.

Linda....you always come up with the best websites. I can't believe how much information is out there.

Stayed up until 2:00am working on a baby quilt. It's so nice to think I can just quilt it whenever I'm ready. Would like to do some SID in it, so will be anxious to see about a new tool. Wish I could have slept in, but between Daisy my Maltese and Dixie my Great Dane there is no chance. One morning (long time ago and a different Great Dane), I woke up to find him standing on the bed over me with his big old face about an inch from my face. Talk about a rude awakening. :P:P

It's me again. Boy do I feel dumb. I guess I didn't realize that APQS made a base extender, or maybe I did, but just didn't think too much about it. Does it slip on and off easily? I was reading some old posts and someone was discussing this subject. I can't really tell by the pictures how it go on and off.

I'm telling you guys....there are just TOO MANY gadgets out there!!!!:P:P:P About the time I get one thing, I find out about another.

Hi Diane::)

You are so right There are so many gadgets, A newbie has to be careful not to go over board trying to get them all.

There are also many differant opinions as to whitch gadgets to get, not to mention books, DvD's, zippers, & the like.

I just had a new BEx from APQS dilivered (send it back because it was cracked) but, it just slips on & off with ease, be sure to get the right one for your machine, if you have a thread cutter it's differant than if you don't.

Also it comes with 2 rulers (straight edges) to use for SID.

Don't feel dumb, just keep reading & asking questions, there is no way in hec that any one person can know it all, let alone someone who is just starting out.

What would be dumb :( is to not ask if you don't know the answer, that could cost you a great deal of money & time.

Best of luck

Guest Linda S

APQS doesn't really make the base - It's a Hartley product, made by Marilyn Badger's husband (as is the Hartley Fence). I actually have one of those for the Liberty for sale. This is what happened: I ordered the base for my Liberty and yes, it slips on and off easily. Turned out it was a little too easily for me -- it kept falling off!! WELL, I ordered a new base that screws on, THEN I found out that, since I had raised my machine to accommodate the Circle Lord, the reason the base was always falling off was that it was constantly running into the rails!! :o

I raised my rails so the extended base can slide under it when I'm quilting. Now it turns out I really didn't need a new base, but now I have two. I think they have changed the Hartley Base design slightly since I bought mine. Live and learn!

Linda

Archived