guild xmas party

Hi everyone! Hope everybody is doing well. Hope your ankle is feeling better Linda! I saw your post! I could use some advice on guild xmas parties. I am a new member in a fairly new guild. We average about 20 people at each meeting. Anyway, I volunteered to chair the xmas party and I know nothing about putting one together. Lots of ladies gave me ideas on all kinds of things. But, I was looking for some advice on trinket gifts for all the ladies. Does your guild give you a small gift, and if so, what? I have never been to a guild xmas party before, and am flying by the seat of my pants, so to speak. What do you all do at your parties!? Thanks so much!

Barb:)

I chaired my guild party a couple of times. See this link for pictures and description.

http://www.amadorvalleyquilters.org/special.html

Event Pictures:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/bizeemum/album/576460762326956879

This occasion is used to include recipients of our community quilts. A large parade of quilts is the main event and then the quilts are given to the various charities. Past recipients share how much the quilts have meant to them. See the link to get a better idea.

We always decorate the tables with a nice center pieces. It is given to one of the guests seated there with a winner sticker under their plate. Also a nice favor at each place setting. Last year we did quilt Christmas ornaments. In the past it has been a fat quarter or some kind of notion. I guess you have to consider if your guild has a budget for this event. Our guild is over 400 people and I had a pretty small budget considering. I save a lot of money by having it partially pot luck. The members love to make their favorite recipe's to share. Others bring drinks or desert. My budget paid for party platters, decorations, plates, utensils, cups, table cloths etc. I had saved enough to buy the party favors which you know everyone loved! I also had door prizes which I collected from sponsors. Quilt stores, manufacturers, and distributors. Oh, I had a committee! I could not have done this by myself! Since your group is a lot smaller you should have no problem putting something wonderful together on your own. Good luck! If you have any questions let me know!

Guest Linda S

Hi Barb - well, I got some pain meds yesterday, so I'm sleepy, but a lot better! Our guild party is fairly simple. Large show and tell, potluck goodies to share (mostly cookies), and a hand-made ornament exchange. It's pretty fun.

Linda

Hi, Cheryl. I checked out photos of your guild's event. Wow, you've got quite a large group of ladies in your guild and...oh my... you all had A LOT of charity quilts there. WOW! How wonderful and giving your group is to give so much to your community. Great job on coordinating the parties. You are right, you can find ways to save money by being creative and flexible.

Shana

THanks for your advice ladies. We are having a gift exchange similar to the one you mentioned Norece, but we aren't using our own items,it has to be a quilt related gift. I am thinking of getting some centerpieces. We are having a buffet table, but I think we can do a couple of centerpieces and someone could have their name drawn and win. I am thinking a basket with some fq and notions. Is that a good idea?

Barb:)

Archived