Skipped stitches

Berny

I am quilting a Snowman quilt with the Twisted Snowflakes Pattern. On the top hat which is a black felt or the orange noses the machine seems to skip stitches sometimes one, sometimes several in a row. I know that she used a bonding material. It doesn't skip stitches on the snowmen where she used a white flannel or on the background. How do I repair the skipped stitches ?? Is there anything that I could have done differently?

Would you go over the lines where the skipped stitches are with your sewing machine? I don't seem to have much luck with ripping it out and re-quilting it??

Thanks,

Berny

Hello Berny,

My guess is that the machine did not actually skip stitches, but instead the thread was not able to make the complete stitch. Look closely to see if there are needle holes in the area where the stitches skipped. Sometimes this happens with adhesive fibers (like Heat-N-Bond) when used in conjunction with certain fabrics... which appears to be the felt in this case. As we quilt, the thread will get stuck in the adhesive, and this prevents the thread from traveling it's normal path in time to make the complete stitch.

Here's what I would do: I would requilt the skipped stitches freehand- moving very slowly. I would also rub a bit of sewer's aid or other thread lubricant on the needle to help the thread pass through the adhesive more freely. If the rest of the quilt's stitches looked fine, then I would not rip them all out and start over---- ***BUT, this is just how I would handle the problem and NOT the only way. Maybe others will post different methods of how they might fix the skipped stitches... and one of their solutions will be a better choice for you???? Any ideas out there????

One tip: After requilting the skipped stitches, if you can see the holes left from previous quilting, then use an iron to lightly press the area to remelt the adhesive around the holes so they can close.

Good Luck & Let us know how you decided to handle this situation!! ;):D

Thanks Tina!

I re-quilted the areas and it looks fine. I did put some of the sewer's aid on the needle. Now I'm happy to hand the quilt over to the customer.

The CQ and I are slowly learning how to work together with less frustration.

I'm beginning to enjoy using my machine instead of being scared to death. It's so great to see some of the patterns that I can now quilt.

thanks again.

Berny

Archived