Breaking Threads and Loops on Top

I have spent the whole day working on one row of a simple edge to edge. It seems that about every three inches my thread breaks. I've changed needles, changed bobbins, cleaned the bobbin area completely, tried changing tensions, checked for burrs on the pigtails. cleaned out the bobbin and checked for any lint, checked the backlash spring, and finallyput in a new bobbin case. I usually hear a pop when the thread breaks so I stop immediately, but if I do keep going, it will pick up stitching anywhere from half an inch to two inches later. Sometimes when I look over the stitching I find loose stitches on the top. The stitches can be lifted as high as an inch with most of the extra thread coming from the bottom. I had the same problems on the last quilt. On this quilt I'm using Bottom Line on the top and the bottom. The previous quilt I was using Sew Fine for white areas top and bottom and Bottom Line for the green areas, top and bottom. Same problems, so I don't think that is the problem. I haven't checked for burrs in the timing mechanism on this quilt because I did that on the last quilt and found nothing.

I should also mention that the fabrics in these two quilts seem to be the inexpensive stuff from discount stores. She is furnishing the batting, which feels like Hobbs. I put on a quilt of my own for a few hours work between these two problem quilts. I had some problem with breaking threads, but not nearly as bad as with these two. On my own quilt I was using Highlights on the top and Bottom Line on the bottom. The batting is Quilters Dream.

I've searched through the forums looking for similar problems, but haven't found any that really provided answers for me. Anyone have any other ideas.

Thanks,

Phyllis Hughes

Oklahoma City

Liberty

HI Phyllis

I'm sorry you are having this trouble. To me it sounds like an improper thread path or perhaps the thread is not seated within the disks of the tensioner. I would also check your needle, toss that one out and grab a used needle that you discarded. Maybe a thread net and a tension adjustment would help. Make sure you rule out a broken thread in the bobbin case as well. I would also suggest that you check the APQS home page and go over the thread troubleshooting page as well. If all else fails, call someone. There is no reason to pull your hair out on this or spend a whole day fretting alone! Let us know the outcome.

Phyllis

HUM. :(

Take out your bobbin case and look to see if you night have a piece of lint stuck under where the thread slips through. Althought you have changed bobbin cases. Also make sure you top isn't too tight.

Sometimes it is just a bad needle. I have tossed a whole pack before.

(stitches can be lifted as high as an inch with most of the extra thread coming from the bottom)

This sound like the top thread is too loose even with thread breaking. How is the bobbin tension?

I have some other question if you want to give me a call.

Sherry and Myrna,

Thanks for the help. I've checked the bobbin area and made sure that there aren't any threads/lint in that area. I've changed needles several times, but they are all from the same package. Only two left. I have another package, but they are 3.5, which I've never used before. I've re-threaded the machine and made sure that the thread is down between the tensioners

After I left the message above I remembered that during my search I noticed that someone suggested turning off the stitch regulator so I tried that. The thread still broke and I still found loose stitches, but it only happened about every 12 inches instead of three. That is a major improvement. My curves are better, too. I may have to practice stitching without the SR!

I did notice when I was pulling up the bobbin thread that the top thread suddenly felt tight, and then it started moving again... I pulled several yards through to see if it happened again, but it didn't. But it made me think that last time I was doing a panto I noticed out of the corner of my eye that every so often I would catch a "poof" of thread at the cone. It seemed that a split second later the thread would break. I adjusted the first guide so that it is directly over the cone, but I still saw that "poof" every so often. I was using a different color of Bottom Line at the time.

I think I'll check for burrs in the bobbin area in the morning, try a needle from the other package, and go through the checklist on APQS. If nothing works then I'll call Mark, I guess. I really don't have the time to waste on this anymore.

Again, thanks for your input. Myrna, I may take you up on phoning you for help.

Phyllis Hughes

Oklahoma City

Phyllis,

I have also experienced the 'poof' of the thread. For me the thread was actually catching on the thread spool. Check to see that it is coming of the spool without any issues by just pulling on the top thread and watching it come off the spool. Keep a close eye to see if it catches on anything.

Good luck and let us know how it is resolved. We can all learn from other issues and resolutions.

Speaking of resolutions... Happy New Year to All,

Linda Esenbock

I've had my grandson the last few days so I just got back to Libby this evening. I went through the bobbin area and sanded/smoothed everything down there, changed the needle to one out of the 3.5 package, tried a thread net (much worse), adjusted tensions looser and tighter, and finally changed to a new spool of thread. At that point, the breaking was coming every twelve inches instead of three inches. A big improvement, but still a bit frustrating. Then I realized that I was getting most breaks either when I crossed a seam or when I was going fast. I slowed down and I did two whole feather fronds (?) without a break. Yes!

I think the three things that made the difference were smoothing the bobbin area, a new cone of thread, and slowing down on this lousy fabric.

It seems to me that about the time I get to feeling confident in my ability to fix this machine, it pulls something new on me.

Thanks for your help.

Phyllis Hughes

Oklahoma City

PHyllis, ONe thing that will help get rid of that POOF of thread coming off the spool all at once is to put a spool cover over the thread. It looks like stretchy cheescloth that fits over the spool. You send the thread out through the top opening and it controls the unspooling of the thread better. I ordered these from Kingsmen and they were very cheap.

Archived