Handystitch

ckirk

I read about the Handystitch on another list and decided to try it. It is a hand held chain stitch "sewing machine" available at Walmart for about $10.00. I am using it to attach my quilt back and top to the leaders instead of pins. I leave a thread tail at the end of the stitching by sewing a few stitches off the quilt top or back onto the leader alone. When I finish quilting, I just pull the tails of thread to undo the chain stitching and the quilt just falls off the leaders! No more pin pricks. This little gem is a real time saver. I do put in a few pins initially to hold the leader and fabric together while I am using the Handystitch, but I only need a few. This cuts the loading time significantly. I try to stitch as straight as possible, but I don't fuss too much- after all, pinning is rarely perfectly straight!

Guest Linda S

For that price, I might have to try it. I've been torquing the tension on my DSM so it would be easy to rip the stitches out after basting the quilt on, but I like the idea of the chain stitch better. Are you using this with zippers?

Linda

I was thinking maybe it would be a one time project to stitch on DSM a line 1/8" from the edge of the canvas leaders (or I suppose you could use a marker). This might make it easier to keep the Handistitcher on a straight line. I like this Handistitcher idea and am going to go to Wally Mart to look for one!

I am using zippers and made mini leaders for the quilt/backing side of the zipper. I then marked my ruler increments on the mini leaders to making loading more accurate. Another tip I picked up was to put tape/self adhesive paper ruler to the leveling bar so you can easily eye up as you go along that the quilt is staying square on the rollers.

Nancy

Hi Linda,

I do not use zippers on my leaders. I have only had the machine up and running three weeks, so I just haven't reached the zipper stage yet! However, I think this would work just fine with the zipper method. The Handystitch will not stitch as quickly as your DSM, but the ripping time is incomparable!

The Handystitch is battery operated but has a port for a 6 volt adapter. I am going to check out Radio Shack and see if I can find one. Not sure how long 4 AA batteries will last.

Nancy, I like your tip about the adhesive ruler on the leveling bar. May have to look into that!

Happy quilting to all,

Cathy

One of the consumer groups tested this little $15.00 gadget and reported that it takes more than 2 hands and that it broke the first time they tried to use it.

I bought the zippers, and haven't installed them yet. When I trained with Dawn Cavanaugh, she showed us how to "pin" everything on, and I've gotten very fast and competant enough without the zippers.

Guest Linda S

Hey! I had those zippers ready and waiting weeks before Eowyn arrived in town. As soon as the machine was up, that was the first thing that got stitched. :o No way was I gonna stand there and pin! I am lazy, lazy, lazy!! :P

Linda

Archived