Skipping

Hi,

I am just finishing up a quilt that I have had a couple of problems with (long story, but to be brief I over tightened and stretched my on point bias quilt...had to add a piece to my backing !!) but now the machine is skipping stitches in the regulated mode. I checked the wheels, look OK. I re threaded...but the machine works fine in manual mode....it is just skipping in the regulated mode. This is very strange, because I use the SR a lot and I've never had a problem.

So, where do I start my check to get this working again.

Thanks,

Cheryl in Iowa

APQS Liberty

Hi, make sure the black rubbery wheel on the stitch regulature is touching tightly on your regular wheel. I had this problem and had to tighten it up. Also, if your fabric is too tight or your tension to tight it will skip. Ask me how I know...:D

If this doesn't help, call Mark!!

Hope this helps,

Sharon

Hi Cheryl,

Yes, as Sharon said...check the little black rubber wheels that are in the brown wheels. These need to be really tight(grippy). If you can spin them without mooving your brown wheels,then they are probably slipping. Thus you would have skipped stitches. These little black wheels are what sends a signal to the circuit boards so it will run in SR mode. If you can run your machine either side to side or front to back and see which way you are getting skipped stitches, this will tell you which black wheel is slipping. Let me know what you find out and call if you need further assistance. (800) 426-7233 ext. 6 Good luck!!

Mark APQS

Hi Cheryl, I just finished a quilt that gave me fits with skipped stitches too. At first I didn't see it but once I knew about it, I changed the needle (MR4)and all was OK again.

I also use the S/R mode a lot and the skipped stitch usually happens when you pull the needle away from the hook. Like mentioned earlier, good contact of the encoder wheels is essential and slowing down in tight curves will help to eliminate the skipped or pulled stitches

I also notice that it happens more with Hobbs Polydown than 80/20.

Jurgen (Millennium)

OK, I have checked and recheck those sensor wheels, and they are moving just fine. I looked at the direction I was stitching when it skipped the worst and it was away and to the left....from the back of the machine. Then I got to thinking about when I last changed my needle....it's been awhile. So, I will be changing my needle tonight and see if that helps.

I haven't experienced skipping with this machine, unless you count that miserable episode with the Rainbow thread...but that was shredding, breaking, skipping... And breaking needles.

As I generally have lots of tension on my quilt I wonder why now, when I am almost finished with a quilt that I have most certainly over cranked, would it become sensitive to this?

One more thing to ponder I suppose.

Cheryl

Archived