Breaking Threads; I think its fixed.

I know that I have mentioned several times on this forum that I've been having problems with my Liberty. I'd think I had it fixed and then it would start all over again. I think (I hope and pray) that I have found the problem. First of all, the timing was off and DH fixed that for me a couple of weeks ago. But even then I continued to have problems with the thread breaking. I'd put a new spool on the machine and it would work great for a while. Then the breaking would start again. I tried putting silicone on the cone and that would help, but again it would come back. I even tried applying Fray Check. Now that was by accident, but it did help for a while, too.

Friday morning when Michael of CL fame was here the thread kept breaking. I was standing at the front of the machine watching what he was doing when I realized that I had hot air blowing down on top of me. I looked up and realized that the vent over my machine was wide open. No wonder my thread was breaking--it was drying out because of all the heat. No wonder I was always so hot, too. DH closed the vent. I put silicone on my thread again and I had no more problems with breaking thread that day. I didn't get to quilt over the weekend, but I haven't had any trouble with breaking thread at all this morning.

I keep thinking that there should be a list that I could just go down and check off things that cause problems and their solutions. But I really don't think that my problem would have been included on any list.

Phyllis Hughes

Oklahoma City

Liberty

Hi Phyllis,

I was having some thread breaking problems as well. This morning I switched out the cotton King Tut I was using to a Perma Core poly, and also I tested some Superior Sew-Fine. Not one break! I think my cotton must be dried out, or I need a larger needle. I have MR 4.0 needle on now. I just ordered some MR 4.5's I'm also going to try the "freezing the thread" tip some have offered here. I'm by a heater vent too. I think it's the time of the year. Overheated homes. I do keep my threads in drawers in a plastic roll around cart. But, I'm going to move it to a cooler spot in the house away from the heat completely. I do want to be able to use some of my cotton threads as I have quite a few in my collection.

Sparkle,

Spritz your cotton thread with water before you put it into the freezer. That will help.

My threads are stored in plastic drawers under my machine. The problem comes when I have the cones of thread sitting out on the machine. I couldn't believe how problem free my quilting was today. It was wonderful. Last year the winter was so warm that I started using the AC in January. I guess that's why I didn't have the problem last winter.

Phyllis Hughes

OkC

Hi Phyllis,

Thank you for the suggestion. They are in the freezer ---all the cottons--- as we speak.

I have my frame set up in the living room not to far from a fireplace insert and the thread is stored at one far corner of the long hearth in in a plastic roll around cart. I think it is dry in that room.

I'm going to test the King Tut one more time. and if it's grumpy I'm just not going to deal with it anymore. It's just not worth it. I would rather be quilting and having fun rather than pampering thread.

Archived