California Quilters beware: Fictitious Business Name (DBA) Scam

I just got notice from a company that calls itself "Fictitious Business Name Renewal Center" with a return address in Sacramento.  The last line of the envelope return address says "This is not a government document".  TAKE HEED.

This company very cleverly makes you think it is official and purports to renew your "Fictitious Business Name" (also known as a DBA - doing business as) which is a legal requirement in most states if the name of your business does not include your full name.  In Calif. FBN's expire every five years.  Mine expires in October, but I get this form from them stating it expires July 22, 2013, and if I fill out their form and send them $125.00, they will renew my FBN.

Of course they will. 

But I can do it myself through the County Recorder for $25.00.

BEWARE ! !

Interesting, I have a similar letter from my state (maybe).  I know I can do it on line, but I do need to check to see if I need to renew each year.  When I put the ad in the newspaper I was told that at least that part is a one time deal.  Sure would be nice if we could just pay the thing once, have it recorded and then be done messing around.

Archived